Welcome

Welcome and thank you for visiting! Here you will find a bit about my life, including my obsession with the fiber arts and the written word.

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Escape Artist

I've become very adept at escaping from the real world.  I used to think I used my powers only for good; I would only "escape" to a happy place when I was bored out of my skull.  I have come to realize, however, that i escape reality on a constant basis.  And not at good times.  And not even when it's necessary.  It's a complete and total defense mechanism.

Things I use to escape?

Yarn: When I'm creating something, I'm lost in a world of stitches.  All that matters is what's in my hands.

TV: I have my favorite shows and I got to a place where I am completely invested in the characters and their lives.  They become part way real to me.  And I get obsessed.

Books: Much like TV, I let the real world fall away and the only thing that exists are the boys and watching them fall in love.  Or the fantastical, mythical worlds where magic and vampires and werewolves are real.  I, again, have favorites that I read over and over and over, letting the tale sweep me away again and again.

Words: What I write is the ultimate escape.  These characters are born from my imagination and they live in my head.  The world they live in, though similar to ours, is one of my making.  If that's not escapism, I don't know what is.

It's not bad that I escape.  Being creative or having time to yourself is never bad.  However I have recently become fully aware that I do this way too often.  That I disengage from the real world on a much too regular basis.  I can own that now.

And I'm working on gathering the courage to change that.

No comments:

Post a Comment