Welcome

Welcome and thank you for visiting! Here you will find a bit about my life, including my obsession with the fiber arts and the written word.

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Good and Angsty

I like good angst in my books.  Most people in my life don't understand why.  The BFF gets it but she and I really have the same brain so it's not surprising.  I can't explain it.  When something hits me right in the gut, when there's torment and misery, when there is so much emotion it's overwhelming...ahhh.  that is what I love.

Let me be clear.  It's not Schadenfreude.  I don't get joy from other people's suffering and I don't like suffering just for suffering's sake.  No, that is badness and I veto.

But good angst?  Angst where there is a purpose and where, in the end, everyone grows and learns and overcomes?  That's good angst.  That's the fullfilling angst.  So maybe it's not the angst that I like but rather the overcoming it?  Perhaps.  But really, I love actually feeling what the characters do when I read.

Of couse, the problem is that even though I love angst and I love to read it, I seem to be horrible at writing it.  And yet, I try anyway.

Ben's in the middle of reliving some big angst right now.  I'm trying to make it feel real.

No comments:

Post a Comment