Welcome

Welcome and thank you for visiting! Here you will find a bit about my life, including my obsession with the fiber arts and the written word.

Saturday, June 21, 2014

Work Story

So, at work, we were still running Windows XP on our computers.  Yes, I'm serious.  I'll let you sit with that a minute so that can sink in.

Good to go?  Okay.

So our computers were seriously out of date and ran slower than molasses in January because the processors were big enough to handle our workload.  But we made do, right?  We plugged along and did what we had to do.  And even though I'd sort of shake my head every morning when I started up my computer at work, I'd deal.  

Now because of aforementioned processors,we couldn't just upgrade Windows.  Plus the computers themselves are a good ten years old.  So they bought new computers.  They actually arrived a couple of weeks ago, and our dude has been slowly and surely replacing everyone's computers with the new ones.  There is a lot of hassle because some parts actually have to get downgraded in order for the hospital systems to run (which is ridiculous to me...seems hospital systems, that hold radiology images and ALL THE PATIENT INFORMATION should be upgraded to the highest available browser and security, but what do I know?).  So it's taken him a while to get to everybody.

Everybody but me.

Which doesn't bother me so much, I can deal with waiting and whatever, except that I'm basically the only one in the office that knows what they are doing on a computer.  Yeah, the other girls can use the programs they know and maybe surf the web, but really, essentially they are computer illiterate.  Now, I'm not some great computer genius, I'm actually not that computer savvy, but I basically know what I'm doing and I can troubleshoot with the best of them.  So I don't have a new computer but I'm running around fixing everybody else's.

"Kris!  I can't print!" (Because she didn't have the default set right)

"Kris! Where did my program go!" (At the bottom, they are nested windows now)

"Kris!  I clicked something random and now I don't know what's going on!" (Yeah, don't do that.  Call me before you click stuff, okay?)

Windows is basically Windows, right?  I mean, yeah, 7 looks different than XP but really, it's all the same.  Common sense says that it's right where it should be.  But, really, you'd think we took PC users and sneak attack replaced their computers with Macs.  

I have to laugh because otherwise I'd cry.

I'm supposed to get my new computer next week, but he'd been telling me that for two weeks now.  I'll believe it when I see it.  And really, if it wasn't for all the finagling that needs to get done in order to make it compatible, I'd do it myself.  But I don't know all the bits that need to get installed, nor do I have access to do it, so I have to wait.  

I'm not even looking forward to it anymore.  Except I'll stop having that stupid pop up about how XP is no longer supported by Microsoft.  Yes, thank you, I know that.

But I'll certainly be glad when it's all settled.  

4 comments:

  1. Oh, that's a shame you're the last one to get a new computer. The other people in your office are really lucky they have you there to help them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like to feel useful, even if it is frustrating. And I am hoping to get mine soon :(

      Delete
  2. Now this is probably my ignorance, but I thought Windows 7 was now out of date too? All new PCs comp preloaded with Windows 8 now. Or is that only for standalone rather than network PCs?

    And if you think your workmates are helpless, try giving them Windows 8. It's so different from any previous versions that we're all brought low. And it's completely unintuitive. I hate it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No you're right. It is out of date. But our programs won't run on 8 so we could only upgrade to 7. And they would be helpless on 8!

      I have 8 at home and I don't hate it. I don't love it either though. There are parts I don't like and most of the time I keep it in desktop view for that reason. There are definitely things about it that are unintuitive. That's a good way to put it!

      Delete