Welcome

Welcome and thank you for visiting! Here you will find a bit about my life, including my obsession with the fiber arts and the written word.

Friday, November 21, 2014

Snowflakes

The snow is falling.

Round these parts, we've barely gotten a couple of inches, and some of that melted away before new stuff fell.  Basically, we're rocking the powdered sugar coating that I love so much.  Roads are just wet so they aren't treacherous, and the houses and grass and trees look very pretty.  It's cold, really cold, but I have thick blood having grown up with it and never straying far, so after the initial shock of it, I'm happy.

A few hours west of here is a different story.  They got about six feet of snow in basically 24 hours.  Since I'm only (barely) five four, it would be way over my head.  I'm just grateful that didn't dump on us.

But it's put me in the mind of snowflakes, and so I've been making a few.  The first one didn't turn out like I wanted, so I have to do that over.  But I've got a few more drying now, so we'll see how they go.  

It's fun, if slightly painstaking, work.  As you can imagine, it takes delicate yarn and a tiny hook.  And I don't even do it with as thin a thread and tiny a hook as it could be done.  Maybe should be done.  Instead, I use fingering weight, and a size B hook.  It's still pretty dainty.  But they are rather quick to work up.  Then it involves pinning them out in the right shape, and painting them with a glue and water mixture so they hold their shape.  

A couple will eventually be taking trips.  But the majority?  They'll be hung up along with my other decorations.  And that, I'm super excited about.  I can't wait.  I'll share pictures when they're complete!

3 comments:

  1. You've got snow! :)

    We've only had one day where everything was white with hoar frost so far, but we've had some chilly, frosty days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doh! That was supposed to say 'we've had some chilly, FOGGY days. :)

      Delete
    2. We have a bit yes.

      I love the way frost glitters! Bet it looked pretty! :)

      Delete