Welcome

Welcome and thank you for visiting! Here you will find a bit about my life, including my obsession with the fiber arts and the written word.

Saturday, December 21, 2013

Christmas Random

--I swear the cats have extra super-sensitive hearing.  Simon in particular.  If he's hungry and he's decided it's food time and he hears me on the stairs or opening a door, he'll appear from nowhere, crying, dancing around my feet, rubbing on my legs just begging to be fed with his "oh my god if you don't feed me I'm just going to perish and die!  Please, please feed me because I'm too pretty to die!!!" act on.  Since he doesn't care if getting under my feet and tripping me so I fall to a horrible death down the stairs is the result of his antics, he's not getting catnip in his stocking this year.

--Last night, I made a dishcloth.  It only took about an hour since, lets face it, they aren't very big.  It's sort of a gag gift for Sis.  See, Grandma (my mom's mom) was a knitter.  Fanatical, really.  (Guess I come by it honestly)  And she used to make this dishcloths.  Now, I hate using them on my dishes because I think they are a bit bulky.  But Sis?  They are her favorite when she washes dishes.  And I had some cotton yarn that someone gave me--people give me yarn all the time.  You don't know how many times I hear things like "My mom/grandma/aunt/some other obscure relative had all this yarn and..." and I can't say no--so it's not the best looking thing.  But it was apparent that Grandma's pattern was really easy and after a bit of studying, I figured it out.  I think it looks exactly the same, so I'm happy with that.  I might pop to the store today and pick up some better yarn to make another one with.  But I haven't officially decided yet.  Anyway, she'll get that as a wee giftie under the tree and it'll make her grin.

--The rest of my holiday yarning has been kind of a bust, but there is one thing that I need to complete.  The BFFs gift.  We'll probably do the Christmas thing right after Christmas though so I have a little bit of time.  I'll get it done.  

--Finally going to decorate the tree today.  I'm so excited I can barely stand it.  It's going to be fun and when I'm done, I can sit back and admire.  One of my favorite things about Christmas.  

--There will be Christmas music while the tree is being decorated.  

--When I'm done, there will be hot chocolate and a Christmas movie.  I'm looking forward to that almost as much as decorating the tree.

--I love this time of year.  I love the snow and the joy and the giving of gifts and remembering the reason for the season and all of it.  I just love it.  And with Christmas only a few days away, I'm getting as excited as...well, as a kid at Christmas!

3 comments:

  1. In my day we learnt to knit in the very early primary school years, I can't remember if it was Primary 2 or Primary 3, but the first thing we knitted was...a dishcloth! :)

    Enjoy your tree decorating time! Here are some baubles for you - http://s1.hubimg.com/u/624644_f120.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I love that they taught knitting! It's great for cognitive development. And teaches math skills as well.

      Thanks for the baubles. They fit right in!

      Delete
    2. Good Lord! It never occurred to me that it was educational in that way!

      Delete