Welcome

Welcome and thank you for visiting! Here you will find a bit about my life, including my obsession with the fiber arts and the written word.

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Is it Cheating?

With my gift cards (remember I got them as a going away present from work?), I broke down and bought a sock loom.  I have spoken before of the horrible affliction of SSS.  But I have a desperate need to make socks.  It just seems to take a long time and I don't like working on DPNs.  The magic loop method has saved me when it comes to gloves and mittens...but even though I have a plethora of of sock yarn, I haven't been able to make myself actually make socks.  So, I got a sock loom.  And guess what?  It's a lot of fun!

It's not actually any faster, at least not yet.  I've only been playing with it since yesterday evening.  But it came with an instructional DVD so there's no guessing as to how to actually work the sock.  And the short row method for making the heel is so much easier...it uses wrapped stitches.  So instead of working on Lyse's afghan like I should be or even my afghan that I really want done, I've been playing with sock yarn and attempting to make a sock.  I will be sure to keep you updated on the progress.

But part of me worries that its sort of...cheating.  It's knitting but not.  Am I laughing in the face of hundreds (thousands?) of years of tradition by using this method?  I can knit just fine.  It looks good when I do it.  Am I taking the easy way out by using the loom?  That's not to imply that anyone who uses a loom to knit is less than a knitter.  That is not my intent at all. But I've made socks the old fashioned way.  I worry that I will be perceived as cheating by using the loom instead.


And then I tell myself it doesn't matter.  I have a pretty high opinion of myself.  Confidence is not one of the areas I usually lack in (though I do very much enjoy, and sometimes need, validation) and my self-image when it comes to my work is usually bordering on arrogant.  So I tell myself this is just another tool in my arsenal of yarn craft goodness.


I also bought an ergonomic handle with interchangeable crochet hook heads.  I've been wanting one of of those for a very, very long time.  I am well pleased that I have it and am now hoping that the Carpal Tunnel doesn't act up quiet as often.  Shooting pains sure do have a way of taking the fun out of stuff, even yarn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment