Welcome

Welcome and thank you for visiting! Here you will find a bit about my life, including my obsession with the fiber arts and the written word.

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Freezing Cold Equals The Need For Knitwear

The cold is nigh on unbearable.  I'm serious.  I'm not used to it being quite so cold. When it happened before--not that long ago--it seemed like it wasn't this bad.  We knew it would pass.  And it did.  But then it came back.  Again.  Full force.  Face-freezing, balls-numbing, skin-tingling cold.  So much so that you need slippers and sweatshirts and blankets even when you're just snuggled up in your house...unless you can somehow afford to heat your house to 80 degrees.  Most of us can't.  I didn't even want to pull my hand out of the blanket cocoon to turn the page, that's how bad it is.  Made me long for my own pair of fingerless mitts.

So I started them.

Haven't quite finished Mum's yet but that didn't seem to matter.  I am always lamenting the fact that I don't have my own pair.  I'm always intending to make a pair for myself.  And I never do.  So I said, screw it.  I'm making them.  Yes, I have to finish Mum's by her birthday, but I knew, I knew, if I didn't start my own, I never would.  So I did. 

Mine are nothing fancy.  Pretty variegated yarn, but that's the extent of the excitement.  I'm working them flat...just working a 1x1 rib until they are the right length and then sewing them up the side.  The cables and the special stitches are for the special people in my life.  I just want something to cover up my hands to keep them warmer.  It's only January and I know there is going to be more cold to come.  Maybe not quite this cold, but still.  I need a little something.  It's even hard to knit right now, because my hands are so cold.  So I'm working as quickly as I'm able to get mine done, then I can finish Mum's.

Hopefully, by this weekend, I'll be able to post pics of two completed pairs of mitts.

**update--it's -11 this morning.  Negative.  Eleven. By noon it's supposed to warm up...all the way to 1.  I really wish I could knit faster and was able to finish those mitts last night.**

2 comments:

  1. You're knitting something for yourself! *faints* :)

    But -11...that's too cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! The BFF didn't believe me either...then demanded that I really keep them for me. I will, they are mine! Mine I tell you!

      And now it's -2. We're going in the right direction at least!

      Delete