Welcome

Welcome and thank you for visiting! Here you will find a bit about my life, including my obsession with the fiber arts and the written word.

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Mitts!!

Okay, so, technically, I only have one of each done.  But I thought I'd share the patterns with you!

First, Mum's mitt.
I used worsted weight for these.  You need both size 5 and size 8 needles. Because I like to do the ribbing part in a smaller size needles so that it's nice and fitted.  This mitt is worked in the round in whatever your preferred method is.  Gauge isn't super important considering they are mitts.  And it's completely customizable in both length and width.  

Pattern notes: Moss stitch in the round is as follows: rounds 1 and 2--knit 1, purl 1.  Rounds 3 and 4--purl 1, knit 1.

Cast on 40 stitches.  With smaller needles, work in 1x1 rib for at least two inches.  

Switch to size 8 needles and work moss stitch for ten rows.  Here's where we put in the steek.  At the end of round 10, cast on five stitches (either purl cast on or "e" cast on works well) and join to beginning of round.  For the next inch or so, continue working moss stitch on the body of the mitt and knit the steek stitches (which is roughly 8 rounds) and then bind off the steek stitches when you come to them.  Work moss stitch for another 6 or 8 rounds, depending on the length of palm.  Then switch back to size 5 needles, work about an inch of 1x1 ribbing and bind off.

Now comes the scary part.  You have to cut open the steek.  Remember that knitting unravels up and down, not side to side.  There are plenty of excellent tutorials on the web about sewing up and cutting steeks and, to be honest, they would all do a better job teaching you than I.  Sew up to reinforce the steek, then cut right in the middle of the center stitch.  At this point, you can just tack down the lose ends or, like me, crochet a quick single crochet edging around it to give it a bit more finished look and a bit more stability.  (If anyone wants a more in depth tutorial, I can try to help or find you some good vids.  Drop me a line and I'll be happy to help!)


Now, my mitts?  Way easier!  Because I used a DK weight for mine, I used a size 5 needle for the whole thing.  Like I said, variegated yarn does the work here.  I casted on 40 stitches and worked 1x1 rib flat until I had the desired length and bound off in pattern.  Then I sewed up the seam, not stitching where I wanted my thumb hole to be.  It's basically a really skinny tube with a whole lot of stretch.  Just pull it on and it keep everything nice and warm!  Ta Da!

So, really, that's it.  These kind of fingerless mitts don't require a lot of concentration or particularly advanced skill.  If you can knit and purl, you can do this.  The steek is a bit scary, I'll freely admit.  But it works well.  And you can always knit those flat and sew up the seam if it's not something you want to try.  

Anyway, I'm happy.  And if I can keep SSS from kicking in, I'll be good to go!

2 comments:

  1. They both look great!

    Now, just banish that SSS from your mind. *firm nod* :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I've got the second one of Mum's nearly done, so I'm doing okay. I just need to get my other one finished! :)

    ReplyDelete