Welcome

Welcome and thank you for visiting! Here you will find a bit about my life, including my obsession with the fiber arts and the written word.

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Steek Success!

Well, mostly.   As with most things I do, in practice doesn't work quite as well as in theory, so there is a bit of less-that-perfection going on with mitt one (which is completed).  But I learned from it!  And in all honesty, if mitt two turns out vastly better (it's about half way done) then I'll probably make mitt three to replace mitt one.  

Now, I always intended to do a round of single crochet around the thumb hole to give it a bit of stability.  Which I did, and it looks fine.  Mostly.  See, two things happened.  I made the opening for the thumb a little bit two long, which i fixed with a bit of sewing.  But the other thing I did was not make the steek itself enough stitches.  I used three, thinking it was a small opening and I could cut right up the middle stitch.  I did the cutting part perfectly, of which I am very proud.  The stitches, when you do this, do come apart a little, but that's waste an will be tucked back so it's fine.  Only really, it should have been a few more stitches, I think five, to give it a little leeway.  I had to get a bit creative to hide the reinforced sewn parts and I needed more fabric.  So, I learned that I need to make the next steek wider.  Which I will.  

So look for pictures and pattern in the next couple of days.  The knitting actually goes fairly quickly so if I can motivate myself, I might just get it finished today.  

All in all though, I like this method and it works well for gauntlet style fingerless mitts where there's no thumb gusset.  I like it a hell of a lot better than knitting it flat and sewing up the seam, that's for sure.  

And I'm always happy to add a new technique to my repertoire!

2 comments: