Welcome

Welcome and thank you for visiting! Here you will find a bit about my life, including my obsession with the fiber arts and the written word.

Friday, August 8, 2014

The Flat

So I'm driving to work this morning, cruising along and minding my own, and there's suddenly a weirdness going on.  I can tell it's my tire.  So I say a little prayer of "Please just get me to work."  But nope, there's a shake, there's a whumpa whumpa and I know that I can't get that far. I pull off into a parking lot, take deep breath, get out of the car, and the tire is flat.  Not just flat, but there's a blow out and it's separating from the rim.

Fuck.

I take a deep breath, despite the anger and adrenaline making my hands shake, and call my mom.  Because that's what you need to do, call mommy.  I tell her where I am, and she's on her way.  Then I call work, and my coworker laughs good-naturedly and says she'll be waiting for me to arrive.  Now I know how to change a flat, in theory, though I've never done it in practice, so I get out the spare tire, and the jack, and I set everything on the ground.  Except...

I can't get the lug nuts loose.  Now matter how hard I try, they just won't budge.  Now I'm getting really angry, because it shouldn't be this hard, and I'm not exactly a weakling.  But they won't budge.  

Double fuck.

So now I'm super angry, because I can't change the damn tire myself.  My tire iron is a piece of crap and I just don't have the leverage.  Mom arrives and calls Triple A.  Fortunately, we only have to wait about thirty minutes and there he is.  His name was Robert and he was a total teddy bear of a man, really sweet.  Fifteen minutes later, I'm back on the road.

Of course, I also now have to buy a new tire.  :(

2 comments:

  1. Oh no! Poor you!

    At least it's Friday and not Monday - every cloud has a silver lining. :)

    ReplyDelete