Welcome

Welcome and thank you for visiting! Here you will find a bit about my life, including my obsession with the fiber arts and the written word.

Friday, March 9, 2012

Obsession...probably

What is an obsession?

I have been told that I am obsessed with yarn.  It's probably true.  I can't get enough of it.  I am  constantly working on a project...or thinking about a project...or thinking of new projects I want to attempt.  I scour the Internet and books and magazines looking for new patterns.  Or looking for patterns that I can alter and adjust to fit my needs or mood.  Some have even said that knitting and crocheting is my addiction.

At least I'm not addicted to cocaine.  

I like to make things but I love making things for other people.  When I create something, it gives me a profound sense of worth.  Look at this beautiful thing I made for you!  Can't you see how much love and time and attention I put into it?  I am showing you how much you mean to me in a way words cannot begin to describe.  

Those who are fiber addicted can understand my plight.  Yarn is an incredible medium.  It is forgiving and soft and cozy.  With just the twist of a hook, or a slide of a needle, you can make something ordinary into something extraordinary.  I would be lying if I said that it wasn't a bit of a rush to be able to mold something into something else.  Something useful and practical.  Something that can be worn or cuddled under.  Something that is a constant reminder of my feelings for the person it was created for.  

But knitting and crocheting is more than just that for me. Sure, it's stressful at times, when the yarn isn't behaving like I want it to or the pattern isn't turning out like I thought it should.  But even when it's stressful, its much more of a stress relief.  I can't even begin to tell you how creating something with yarn makes me let go of all the other stresses in my life.  It is a gift.  

Right now, I'm working on a afghan for my friend C-Lou, with an afghan for another friend and another one for me in the bullpen.  And that's just today.  Tomorrow, there may be even more projects on my to do list. 

Am I obsessed?  Addicted?  Yes, I probably am.  Am I upset about that?  Not even a little.  At least it's not cocaine  

No comments:

Post a Comment