Welcome

Welcome and thank you for visiting! Here you will find a bit about my life, including my obsession with the fiber arts and the written word.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Second Sock Syndrome

It's a horrible affliction.  I, myself, am a chronic sufferer of SSS.  For those of you who are not aware, Second Sock Syndrome is the disease in which you make one sock...and never make the second one.  It's not just socks either.  This disease can manifest in any project where you need to make two of the exact same thing; mittens, gloves, or sleeves can all be affected by SSS.

I have an even more serious problem.  I don't ever like to make the same pattern twice.  It seems to me like it's "been there, done that."  What's the challenge in it?  I've already done it once!  And then, too, it lessens the uniqueness of gifts given when someone else already has it.

I'm able to overcome the disease in small bouts.  I have, in fact, made three whole pairs of mittens/glittens.  I have also made the same project a few times.  There was a wrap I made on three different occasions.  But that doesn't count, not really.  Because those were orders.  Someone had actually requested that I make them so that they could be given as gifts to others.  But it's a fight every time.  I have to make myself work the project.  And, for me, that diminishes the enjoyment of it.  

You may recall that the afghan I'm making for C-Lou is one that I have done before.  This is the rare occasion where SSS hasn't even come into play.  The first time I made it, it was a gift for my brother.  He picked the colors and it looked awesome when it was done.  I absolutely loved it!  I told myself, then and there, that someday I would do it again.

A few years later, there was a request for a baby blanket.  I tried several different patterns before I thought of this one.  And I thought: it wouldn't be the whole afghan because a baby blanket is much smaller, so it wouldn't be exactly like working the same thing all over again.  I dusted off the pattern and set to work.  The end result?  I loved it all over again.  I filed that knowledge away for future reference.

And now?  I still love it.  I'm happy I chose it for her afghan.  And I have no doubt that in a few more years, the pattern will once again resurface.  Anything that makes living with SSS a little easier is worth repeating, wouldn't you say?

No comments:

Post a Comment