Welcome

Welcome and thank you for visiting! Here you will find a bit about my life, including my obsession with the fiber arts and the written word.

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Doin' the Steek

Here's a quick lesson in knitting steeks because this time, I remembered to get photographic evidence.  
Here's what it looks like


And from the side

And cut open!
Okay, so, here's what it looks like.  Basically, the premise is this: cast on the number of stitches that will go across the hole you want to make.  Knit them in stockinette (knit every stitch when working in the round).  It's erroneous fabric, a place holder, if you will.  Then cut open in the middle of the section of stitches.  For this, I cast on an extra five stitches, knit them, then, when I was done, cut down the center of the middle stitch.  Looks scary, but it's not.  Then you can just tack the flaps down on the inside of the work, pull out the little stray ends, and you're good to go!

2 comments: