Welcome

Welcome and thank you for visiting! Here you will find a bit about my life, including my obsession with the fiber arts and the written word.

Saturday, December 15, 2012

O' Tannenbaum

The first thing you have to know about our tree is that it's fake.  And before you get all up in arms about it, we can't have real as several members of my family, including me, are highly allergic.  So, if we want to be able to breathe, then fake it must be.

The second thing is that it's old.  Really old.  Older than me.  It belonged to my grandparents.  It's the kind where the branches are individual and you have to fit each one into a hole on the center post.  

The third this is...well, there's no easy way to say it.  It's ugly.  I think it's attempting to be a Douglas Fir of some sort but it doesn't really succeed.  It's pretty hideous.  It's sad and pathetic and every year when I get it out of the box and get it all put together I think "50 bucks and we could have a normal looking tree."

But...

The thing is, it's our tree.  Our tradition.  And once I get it all put together and get the lights on (white only of course) and get it all decorated, it's actually quite lovely.  Boarders on beautiful even.  And I love it.  And I think "this is why I didn't waste 50 bucks on a new tree." 

Of course, it always is a big to do.  Everyone wants to help and then, well, I end up doing it all myself anyway because they don't actually want to help, they just think they do.  So I put it together, and Sis helps with the lights, and then I end up putting on all the ornaments (which actually appeals to the bit of OCD I have so that I can put them right where I want) and then I have to rub my arms down with lotion because the tree branches scratch the crap out of them and because of the dermatographism it welts up in crazy patterns.  But in the end, it's worth it.

So, that's on the agenda today, finally.  Get the tree up and decorated.  Take something ugly and turn it into something beautiful. 

Of course, there is a pall of sadness over this day.  And many days to come.  In the wake of the tragedy in Newtown, CT, all I can do is hold my loved ones close, take comfort in the familiar traditions, and send thoughts and prayers eastward.

No comments:

Post a Comment