Welcome

Welcome and thank you for visiting! Here you will find a bit about my life, including my obsession with the fiber arts and the written word.

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Good Times Ahead

Every summer, in a little town not to far away, there is a Renaissance Festival.  The "shire" comes alive with entertainers and vendors and he hillside is transformed into a wonderful flurry of activity and fun.  

Sis and I are headed there next weekend and I can't wait.

We have a fantastic time, just her and I.  We wander at a lazy pace, we see what we want to see, stop when we want to stop, and just enjoy ourselves.  It gets fairly crowded as the day moves on but weirdly, in this one instance, I don't get freaked by all the people.  That's not to say that I don't sometimes need a moment in the quiet, but that's easy to find if I need it.

Yeah, I'm one of those people that does the whole dress up thing.  I have a pretty dress, skirt, and top.  I do up my hairs. I feel pretty when I dress up.  I don't even mind that Sis decidedly does not dress up.  lol.

It's even shaping up to be nice weather, though since it's still 11 days out, that could change.  But as it looks now, it'll be not terribly hot and a bit cloudy, but no rain.  Just how I like it.

And oh, the plot bunnies that run rampant at the Ren Fest are always freaking thrilling to see.  I'll end up staring into space a lot as my mind works, but Sis will keep my feet on the path.

The theme that weekend is Highland Fling, and there will be extra Scottish bits about.  Music and highland games and other little bits that we're both looking forward to.

I'm very excited.  Positively giddy with anticipation.  I can't wait!


2 comments:

  1. I came across this poem which suits your post. *giggle*

    Maggie Pollock, Scotland

    Poem
    The Highland Fling

    A've never been abroad
    A've never hud the notion,
    See, a would miss the midges
    And the dance they teach in motion.
    Up here in Bonnie Scotland
    We do the highland fling,
    And when the midges bite us
    You should hear us sing.

    Have you ever watched the dancers?
    With their hands up in the air,
    It's nuthin to do with the dance
    It's the midges they're trying to scare.
    See aw that hoopin and hawin
    It's nuthin to do with it tae,
    The bloody wee midges are up their kilts
    And they don't want to play.

    They bite their legs, they bite their bum
    But the midges just don't care,
    The dance gits faster and faster
    You ken their bite is sair.
    The dancing really gits going
    As the dancers jump and yell,
    The whooping gits louder and louder
    As the midges put them through hell.

    Aye, you don't know whit you're missing
    Always going abroad,
    The weather, the midges, the excerise
    As they chase you doon the road.
    So come tae Bonnie Scotland
    It's the place tae be,
    Come and see the midges
    And you kin dance like me.

    Aye, and if the wee midges like you
    You'll learn the highland fling,
    And if you're really lucky
    You might even learn tae sing.

    ReplyDelete