Welcome

Welcome and thank you for visiting! Here you will find a bit about my life, including my obsession with the fiber arts and the written word.

Monday, January 14, 2013

Progress

I started Sis's birthday blanket this weekend with the one skein of yarn that actually arrived.  I did a quick not real gauge swatch just to get a rough idea of how many stitches per inch there were.  As soon as I cast on, I realized that garter stitch was the way to go.  Because of the "nubbly"ness to the yarn, there is hardly any stitch definition to begin with and that stockinette would get...well, not completely lost but way less defined.  Add to that, I'd have to keep track of whether I was on a knit row or a purl row and I decided that garter was the answer.  Also, I wouldn't have to worry about/deal with the curling that invariably happens with stockinette.  Even though the gauge is fairly loose, it would still curl a bit and I did not want to have to block it.  

I did not, however, get the entire skein worked, which was my goal.  So I have no idea if I have enough yarn ordered.  I got a little side tracked by a nap and then never finished it.  That is on the agenda for sometime this week.  Along with obsessively checking to make sure the yarn will arrive sometime this century.  

My coworker also took the time today to let me know that the lapghan I had made for her was love, love, loved by the recipient.  It was very nice to hear and it turns out this lady is a crafter, too.  She'd never seen that particular kind of yarn so I was able to pass on what it was so she could work with it herself.  That, more than anything, pleased me.  It gives me great joy when I can let another fiber artist know about one of my favorite yarns.  

And speaking of yarns...I'm seriously contemplating taking up spinning.  If I can manage to save enough for a spinning wheel, that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment