Welcome

Welcome and thank you for visiting! Here you will find a bit about my life, including my obsession with the fiber arts and the written word.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Winter Is Coming

And no, I'm not channeling the motto of House Stark.

It was only about last week that I had to finally break out the light jacket to wear when I went outside.  Before that a sweater or sweatshirt was more than enough.  Last couple of days, the temperature dipped pretty low but still nothing too extreme.  And then yesterday?  Snow.  That actually stuck.  Technically, we got a "trace" but, yeah, winter is coming.  

Now, I am well pleased that I live in a region that has four distinct seasons. And I, personally, could never live anywhere that it didn't snow because to me, that's what winter is all about.  But I want it to snow from the day after Thanksgiving to about the third of January...and only fall on the grass, trees, and buildings and not accumulate on the roads.  That's not too much to ask for, now is it?

One of the things I love best about wintertime though, and I'm sure this will come as a great big shock and surprise to you, is the scarves and hats and gloves.  Love winter wear.  A lot.  I love making it and I love wearing it and it always makes me feel cozy and warm and special.  I still need to make a pair of fingerless mitts for me.  But I have a hand knitted scarf, made for me by my mother before I got into knitting and one I've knit myself.  I have another that Tato got me for my birthday that's very long and thick and warm.  I don't usually wear hats because I usually wrap my long hair in a bun, but I want one and have been contemplating patterns for a long while.  I've also been having fantasies about making a cowl.

But winter is here and that means the end of autumn.  Which is always a sad time for me because fall really is my favorite of the seasons.  But knitwear...happy sigh.  I love winter knit wear.  And that makes the season a lot more bearable for me.

2 comments:

  1. Excuse my ignorance, but what's House Stark?

    You've had your first snow! We've got snow on the hills but not here at sea level yet. I love the first snowfall. Just watching fat flakes slowly float down and everything turning silent as it muffles noise - magic. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Game of Thrones. George R. R. Martin wrote the books, HBO is doing the TV series. It basically means that no matter what good is going on, winter is always around the corner and you must be prepared.

      Oh, yes, I do love the snow...especially with the big fat flakes drifting lazily down. I just wish we didn't get quite so much! :) Because I don't have a Matty and I have to do the shoveling myself. LOL

      Delete