Welcome

Welcome and thank you for visiting! Here you will find a bit about my life, including my obsession with the fiber arts and the written word.

Sunday, July 14, 2013

By Any Other Name

I like nicknames and terms of endearment.  Seriously.  Everybody in my life gets them.  There are about two dozen different things I call my mother and she doesn't hesitate to answer to any one of them.  My siblings all have different versions of their names and then the nicknames get  further twisted and changed until it's something that doesn't even resemble the original but they all know.  A few of the ones I use irritate my siblings, but they put up with it because they know that's how I am, because they know that's how I'm showing affection.  And if I know it irritates, I try not to use it, so they forgive it when one of those slip out.   

I'm a sucker for baby.  I love it when lovers call each other that.  Or a parent to a child, or even friends.  And I use it with the people in my life that I'm the very closest to.  Sweetheart, honey, sugar, angel, darlin'...any one of them makes me sigh.  I know a lot of people roll their eyes when they read books in which the characters over use those types of terms of endearment, but I love it.  Because I'm like that and to me, it really shows deep affection.

But the name has to fit, it has to feel right.  There are people that shorten my name, call me Kris, and it just makes me wince.  I hate hearing it come out of their mouths.  There are about three people in my life that call me Kris on a regular basis that sounds just fine, it sounds right.  Everyone else?  An occasional use is fine for some of them, but mostly, it irritates the crap out of me.

So why do I use Kris as my moniker in the cyberworld?  Part of it was a conscious choice for anonymity.  Because I don't use it in everyday life.  Here, I am Kris, and I can be me without fear of discovery.  I don't have to hide.  And that is freeing 

2 comments:

  1. Sorry, 'baby' is a term I really dislike in romance novels, whether M/F or M/M. To me it just screams 'patronising'.

    It's interesting you're calling yourself a name you don't much like here on your blog. Did you think of other names before settling for Kris?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand that people don't like baby. I even get why. I'm just not one of those people :)

      And it's not that I don't like it, I actually like it a lot, but it's reserved for people that make it sound normal. And I think that's why it bothers me when a lot of people say it. It's a special name to me. And here, I chose to own it and that makes it powerful for me personally. It only took me a few minutes to settle on using it.

      Delete