Welcome

Welcome and thank you for visiting! Here you will find a bit about my life, including my obsession with the fiber arts and the written word.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The Yarn From Scotland

This is the yarn for me


 So, this is the yarn that I got from Scotland.  The one on the left is a cashmere and Shetland blend.  The other one?  I have no idea.  I don't remember.  They are both about a DK weight yarn.  It's going to be lovely
This is Auntie's yarn





Ball winder in action

Almost done!
I started winding it into balls.  That ball winder is a nifty tool.  Usually, you use it in conjunction with a swiff, but I don't have one of those.  (A swiff is sort of an umbrella type contraption that holds the hank and turns as you wind the ball)  I thought I didn't need one.  Yeah, I was wrong.  It's totally doable without, make no mistake.   As you can see, I stretched the hank on the posts of two chairs.  But it's a hell of a lot slower.   
The finished product!  A center pull ball and the yarn stays all neat and tidy and doesn't get all tangled up.  I still have to do the hank that is Auntie's yarn.  You see, that one is all twisted in on it self, so I'm going to have to take on the painstaking task of winding it by hand and untangling as I go.  I'm pretty sure there will be much frustration and also probably tears.  But it'll be worth it.

5 comments:

  1. Nice colours. That winder does look handy. I can remember as a child having yarn over my hands, while my mother wound it into a ball.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a time honored method and if I can bribe someone to help, I use it. Lol. I love that image though, little Alder with yarn on her hands!

      Delete
    2. Bribes, I never got any bribes! Hmph!

      Delete
    3. Though actually, thinking back, I used to enjoy it! :o)

      Delete
    4. Lol! Now, I've got a wee plot bunny!

      Delete