Welcome

Welcome and thank you for visiting! Here you will find a bit about my life, including my obsession with the fiber arts and the written word.

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Goin' Shoppin'

No, not for yarn.  I have plenty of that silly!  I don't need anymore.  Want?  Yes. Need...not so much.

No, today is a day for clothes shopping.  Which, despite the fact that I'm a woman, is not my favorite thing.  In fact, it's very low on the list of things I like.  But it needs to be done and, hopefully, the shopping gods are with me and I can find what I need, make my purchases and get out.

See, I'm not a big fan of the mall.  Shocker right?  It's always overly crowded and there are so many people that sometimes I get anxious.  But I'm also not one that can buy clothes online.  I need to see it in person, touch it, and sometimes try things on.  I'm kind of short, so pants are usually a must to try on.  Average length is usually too long, but petite length is often too short.  So I have to see how they fit in the store.  Were I to purchase these online and they didn't fit right and couldn't be altered, then I'd have to send them back and that's just a hassle.  So to the store I go, because I really need to, and I've been putting it off long enough.  

Fortunately, Sis is my wingman today and we always have a good time.  She also knows my quirks and can tell when I'm getting overly anxious.  Sometimes all it takes is for her to hook pinkies with me or take my hand, and I can calm down. (I sometimes wonder if people we pass when holding hands think we're together, but it's obvious by looking at us side by side that we are, in fact, sisters.  Absolutely cut from the same cloth)  Sometimes, she has to drag me off into a quieter store until I can get my bearings again.  Either way, she's very good at keeping me grounded when the panic threatens to overwhelm.  And we'll have lunch out, which is always fun.  Sis and I, usually, get along like pancakes and syrup--even more so in the last few years--and we always have a good time.

We also have this game "Talk you in or talk you out."  This is how the game works: when one of us is dithering about a purchase, the other asks "Do you want me to talk you into it or out of it?"  If the answer is the first, we point out all the good things about the purchase, all the reasons it's necessary or a good buy.  If the answer is the latter, we of course, point out all the reasons that it should be left on the shelf or rack, and sometimes physically drag the other away.  It's good to have checks and balances because it's easy to overspend sometimes.  We keep each other grounded when it comes to overspending.  Most of the time, anyway :p

So shopping for me today and I'm actually sort of excited about it...even if I'd rather avoid the crowds at the mall!

4 comments:

  1. Aw, that's nice that you have your sister's support for the dreaded clothes shopping. I hate shopping for clothes myself so I totally understand the anxiety. I hope you have a successful shopping trip and get some bargains, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bah. It was disappointing, though I did manage to find a couple of things. And lunch was amazing!

      Delete
  2. "lunch was amazing!" You tease, tell us what you had! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Steak, fries, tomato and mozzarella salad, and brownie ala mode for dessert! I can't decide whether the steak--cooked exactly how I like it and so delicious--or the brownie--piping hot melty vanilla ice cream and Ghirardelli chocolate sauce--was the best part!

      Delete