Welcome

Welcome and thank you for visiting! Here you will find a bit about my life, including my obsession with the fiber arts and the written word.

Thursday, October 24, 2013

One Step Forward

And two steps back.

(Hey BFF, pretend you aren't reading this post!  Kthnxbai!)

So!  The BFF is getting gauntlet style fingerless mitts for her birthday.  And remember before when I said I jacked up the pattern and I put them aside to focus on baby things?    Last night, I finished one of them.  I frogged out the bad part and picked up the stitches and got to work.  Except...yeah.  Not going to work.  I was making it up as I went along, thinking I knew what I was doing.  And I mostly did.  But I made some mistakes and so it's not going to work.  The cuff part isn't as long as I wanted it. And when I sewed it up, I made the thumb hole too low, so it didn't fit exactly right.  And I used a whips stitch to sew it up but I think I want to do it with mattress stitch instead.  And maybe even pick a different stitch pattern.

Anyway, half of me is just a little upset that I spend several hours making it and now it's going to amount to anything.  But!  I learned what I didn't want and how to fix it.  So I can start over and make it better.  Because now I know exactly what I want it to be.

All in all, tonight wasn't a complete waste.  I learned all the things I don't want to do and all the things that I do want to do.  And I now know exactly what I'm going to do.  With the exception of the actual stitch pattern of course :)

It's good when we can learn from our mistakes, right?


2 comments:

  1. "Anyway, half of me is just a little upset that I spend several hours making it and now it's going to amount to anything. But! I learned what I didn't want and how to fix it. So I can start over and make it better. Because now I know exactly what I want it to be." - I think this paragraph could be applied to writing as well as knitting, yes? :) The finished mitts will be twice as nice when you're done, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh. Yes. Ok. I will take this lesson and apply it elsewhere. So smart you are!

      Delete