Welcome

Welcome and thank you for visiting! Here you will find a bit about my life, including my obsession with the fiber arts and the written word.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Time Limits Cause Trouble

I'm in trouble.  I really am.

See, I have the baby sweater I'm making for baby right?  And the shower is on Sunday.  And it's away, so there's travelling.  It's like a five hour drive.  We're leaving noontime Saturday.  So really, I have until about 11 Saturday to get the thing done.

I don't think I'm going to make it.

Because I still have about 30 more rows to finish the body.  But then there's the arms.  And I have to get it done before we leave because I have to have time to clean it (I always clean everything before I give it away, whether washing and blocking or at-home dry cleaning).  And really, it should be blocked...because it's knitted stockinette and that curls in on itself.  So, I have to make some decisions.

Option one is to make it a vest.  But it's not really shaped right for that and I think it would look ridiculous.

Option two is to incorporate the curlage into the design.  Make it a bit longer in the body so that when the edge curls up that's how it's supposed to be.  The sleeves would work fine that way because that way it won't be covering up baby's hands.

Option three is to work the bottom edge of the sweater and the sleeves in a rib so that it lies flat.  It would mean a bit more work, though not anything harder, and I'm already short on time.

Option four is to abandon it completely, raid the yarn stash, and make, like, five hats in fun and funky colors.  He is a winter baby after all.

Option five is to abandon it completely and buy something at the store.

Really, I think I've already ruled out option one.  Because of it's shape, with the raglan sleeves, it needs to be a sweater.  Option two is the easiest and option three would look nice.  Option four is a nice idea, but he's already got a bunch of hats (Izzy got him a little viking hat...so damn cute!)  And option five just makes my skin crawl.  I make stuff.  That's what I do!  Buying something just seems like a cop out.  And it's generic.  The handmade gift, that's something only he has.

But time is bearing down on me and I just don't know if I'll get it done.  If I ignore everything else on my plate and just do that for the next three days, I'm certain I actually can get it finished.  

I guess I just needed to lay everything out so I could see it in black and white.  So, work like crazy tonight, tomorrow night, and Friday night, and it should be done by Saturday morning.  Everything else in my life can wait until Monday, right?  There's nothing that is earth shattering if I don't get it done.  At least, I don't think so.

So, that's the goal.  Knit like crazy until it's finished.  (Yes, Alder, I promise to do my stretches)  

Of course, this time crunch just makes me think of all the other things I need to get done.  The BFF's birthday gift, my goddaughter's birthday gift (both November) and Sis's blanket has been languishing in the third done stage for months now and I promised it to her and it's still not any closer.  And don't even get me started on Christmas.

And on top of all of that?  November is NaNoWriMo and I was going to do that this year, on purpose, and try to write an entire book and...wait.  Wait.  Deep breaths.  One thing at a time.  Get through this week and the weekend, and then freak out about everything else.  Right?  Right.

So now I just need to choose between option two and three by the time I get home from work tonight.  

I'm in trouble.    


4 comments:

  1. Poor Kris. *speed knitting hugs*

    Of course, if she didn't expect you to give TWO gifts at TWO showers you wouldn't have this problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a very, very good point. And I'm totally going to need all the speed I can get!

      Delete
  2. You know, you've already given a hand-knitted gift, you could just buy a toy or a mobile, finish the sweater at your leisure and give it when the baby is born.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's incredibly good point. Hmm...now I have a different kind of decision to make.

      Delete