Welcome

Welcome and thank you for visiting! Here you will find a bit about my life, including my obsession with the fiber arts and the written word.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

A Trip to my LYS

There's a date for yarn shopping.  I'm very excited.  My LYS (that's local yarn shop) is a fabulous place and for my birthday, you may recall, I got a gift statue to shop there.  So Sis and I, and probably Toby, are going shopping on Thursday after work.  I know, I know, I don't need any more yarn.  But, I have to sped my gift money, don't I?  

As Mother's day is coming up, my siblings and I purchased a Kindle Fire for Mum.  Now, I do believe that she will greatly enjoy getting books for it.  I had to get my love of reading from somewhere.  But really, she wants to play games.  The word games, you know?  So we started looking around at iPods and iPads and found that the best and cheapest way to go would be to get the Kindle...plus then there's books!  It's a double win.  

Anyway, the point of that diatribe is to say that I will be yarn shopping at the fancy yarn store with the purpose of getting something fabulous so that I can knit or crochet a sleeve for Mom's new Kindle.  And it's not like it's that big, the sleeve only needs to be like 8" x 5" so that won't take me long at all.  But that way, she has something pretty to tuck it into when she's done with it.  

And speaking of yarn and new projects...I finally figured out what to do with the left over yarn from the Tom Baker-esque scarf that I made for the BFF for her birthday.  There are seven different colors right?  So, I used my biggest needles, which by the way are a size US 50 (for those of you that aren't in the know, those are some seriously big ass needles.  25 mm in diameter, which works out to like, an inch around), and hold all seven strands together like it's one big chunky ass strand of yarn.  The benefit of this is that the stitches are really big.  So it's warm and solid, but sort of lofty, too.  Bulky and not at the same time.  The rust color is the one I have the least of (I used some to make a werewolf named Riley) so I'll just keep working until I'm out of that color, and then bind it off.  It'll be a pretty fantastic scarf when I'm done and yes, this one is for me. I am actually making something for myself.  Contain your shock, please.

6 comments:

  1. I want to see this scarf when you're done. Enjoy your shopping. I love spending other people's money lol! I think your mom will treasure the Kindle sleeve as well as the thoughtful gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I'll post pics when it's done. And of the sleeve. I think your right...she appreciates the handmade stuff. And is a knitter herself, sorta, so she gets what goes into it.

      Delete
  2. You're making something for yourself...*steps back in amazement!* This scarf sounds great and with those big needles it sounds as though it will be quick to knit up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's rather shocking isn't it? heh heh. And yeah, it really is going very quickly. That's the benefit of the big ones.

      ...is it me or does that sound dirty? :0P

      Delete