Welcome

Welcome and thank you for visiting! Here you will find a bit about my life, including my obsession with the fiber arts and the written word.

Sunday, April 21, 2013

The Awesome BFF and A Bit of Yarning

My beautiful BFF took me to breakfast at our place yesterday as part of my birthday present.  The other part was the gifties I got as well.  You see, she ordered them from the webz, but of course, they didn't all arrive in time.  So, she said she'd take me to our place once they all arrived.  I sure as hell wasn't going to say not to that!  And let me tell you, they were well worth the wait!  She got me way fun stitch markers, things I can use when I'm knitting up my fun projects.  And to prove she knows me better than anyone, they are all things that I love.  So, I had to knit up a swatch so I could see them in action:
Yeah, that's right.  All the covers of the Harry Potter books.

Coffee Beans!  Sweet nectar of life!

Doctor Who...'nuff said.



So, after breakfast we hit up Barnes and Noble, but there wasn't anything to buy.  I can count on one hand the number of times I've walked out of that store without at least one book.  It's happened twice.  But we had fun browsing.  But then, after a nap, there was completing this:
 I had started it earlier this week, if you recall.  And I'd worked on it some each night, but I didn't get very far.  Yesterday, I decided I was going to work hardcore on it.  And before very long, I was at the middle.  And then, I thought that I would just keep going.  Once I got to the second half, and was decreasing stitches, then I was all set to just keep going until it was done.  I really wish y'all could touch it because it's so plush and soft!   
 It's worked on the diagonal in garter stitch.  The yarn is really chunky so I used US 13 needles.  It's really simple, too.  

CO 4 stitches.

Next row: Knit 2, make 1, Knit to end.

Repeat this row, every row, until it's 36 inches across.

Next row: Knit 2, Knit 2 together, Knit to end.

Repeat this row, every row, until you have four stitches left.  Bind off.  Nothing could be easier.  

And I think it gives it just a bit of differentness, you know?  To be on the diagonal.  If my coworker is, in fact, having a girl, she'll get this.  If not, well...I have the other yarn and I'm sure I can come up with something fun to work with that, too!

Now, all that's left that I have to work on is Sis's afghan.  Which I still don't have all the yarn for.  And kinda don't want to work on anyway.  I do have that lovely hand painted chunky yarn I got from my LYS that's been taunting me for a week, though...  

6 comments:

  1. It's lovely and looks unisexish. Why can't it be for a boy too! You've got a mix of colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my first thought too, Mary! It's not too pink and it's for a newborn...

      Delete
    2. A friend of mine gave Jason one very similar (but not diagonal). It had green, yellow, pink & blue and we still treasure it because it was handmade.

      Delete
    3. I think it's too pink, and not enough blue, to be truly unisexish. If it was a little more even, if the blue and pink were more equal, I wouldn't hesitate. Besides, are you going to deny me the fun of making another blanket? :)

      Delete
  2. Those stitch markers are fun! And the baby blanket is really sweet - the mix of colours is great. I hope she has a girl because I'm sure she'd love this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are. My only problem now is choosing which ones to use when I knit! And yeah, I think sweet is a good word to describe that blanket

      Delete