Welcome

Welcome and thank you for visiting! Here you will find a bit about my life, including my obsession with the fiber arts and the written word.

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Ta Da!

Okay, so my day yesterday?  Pretty fabulous!  First, there was Dirty Laundry with my coffee.  And it was so good.  I think if you're a fan of the Cole McGinnis series, this one is going to be your favorite.  The characters get even more developed, which I think is essential in a series; the characters have to keep growing or else it's the same story over and over again.  Cole and Jae's relationship moves forward, also essential.  There were some moments that made me gasp...and there was one moment where I was certain my heart was going to stop beating in my chest.  All in all, an excellent read.

And then, I did yarn.  In fact, I'm finished!  Woot!  I got into the knitting groove and then, before I realized it, it was nearly complete.  So instead of a nap, I finished the cover for Mum's Kindle.  Go me!

 And here it is!  Red is Mom's color so of course I had to make it in red.  And I had the buttons from...something.  I don't remember why I bought them but I never used them and they were perfect.  So, I used them.  It was fairly simple to make too! 

I used worsted weight yarn.  Caron Simply Soft in Red, if you care.  Size US 8 needles...when I work in the round, I use two circular needles, but you can use whatever method you like.  Just be sure that if you use double points, you have the right number on each needle so that you aren't splitting up the twists in the cables.  So this is how I made it:

First, some points--You can use whatever method you like to cast on.  A provisional cast on would work well and then use a three needle bind off or kitchner stitch to close up the bottom.  I was too lazy for that though, and just used a long tail cast on, left a long tail on purpose, and sewed up the bottom with mattress stitch.  I picked the cable out of my stitch dictionary and it's worked over 16 stitches.  Also, there were two different kinds of twists in the cable so the definition of those are:

C4b--slip two stitches to the cable needle, hold in back, knit 2, knit the 2 stitches from the cable needle.

C4f--slip two stitches to the cable needle, hold in front, knit 2, knit the 2 stitches from he cable needle.

And of course K = knit and P = purl.

Got it?  Okay!  Here's the pattern:

Co 50

Set up row--P 5, K 16, P 5, K 24

Round 1--P 5, K 4, C4b, C4f, K 4, P 5, K 24

Round 2--P 5, K 16, P 5, K 24

Round 3--P 5, K 2, C4b, K 4, C4f, K 2, P 5, K 24\

Round 4--repeat round 2

Round 5--P 5, C4b, K 8, C4f, P 5, K 24

Round 6--repeat round 2

Work these 6 rounds until work measures 7.5 inches.  End with row 6.

Switch to US 5 needle for the first 25 stitches.  Work 1 x 1 rib across these stitches and K the second set of 25 stitches (still using size 8 needle)  for another 3/4 of an inch.

Bind off first 25 stitches in pattern.  The last 25 stitches leave live, you will be working these in rows.  Continue in stockinette until flap measures about 2 inches.  This put me on a wrong side row and is where I put the button holes: P 3, BO 3, P 13, BO 3, P 3. (This part is dependent on the size of your buttons...you may have to BO a stitch more or less, depending on how big they are.  Remember how many you bound off for the next row.) 

Next row-- K 3, CO 3, K 13, CO 3, K 3 (here you can use either the "e" cast on or a purled cast on...I used the latter)

Work three rows garter (so the edge doesn't roll, you can do it in stockinette if you want to block it after) and then BO.  Sew the buttons on in the ribbing section so that they, obviously, correspond with the button holes.  And you're done!

Oh, and don't freak out if it looks too narrow when you're done.  Remember, knitting stretches and the cable makes the work a bit scrunchy.  But it'll all be nice nice once you get your Kindle inside.  Speaking of which, this is for the Kindle Fire, which is 7.5 inches by 4.7 inches...so this pattern is basically 8 x 5 inches.  Depending on what device your knitting it for, you may need to add a few stitches or take some away.  If that's the case, do that by an even number in the stockinette section at the back and you'll be fine.  If you need to add rows, you can either add another set of the 6 row cable repeat, or make the ribbing at the top longer. 

Questions? Comments? Leave it below or send me an email!    
 

8 comments:

  1. That's so pretty, Kris. Your Mum's going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think so too. I think it makes it a little more personal too

      Delete
  2. That's great Kris! She is going to love it! And BTW, for those of us who don't knit, those instructions are a different language lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. I know. Just think, when you take up knitting, you'll have a pattern to work with! ;p

      And thanks!

      Delete
  3. When? You mean "if". I almost flunked home ec when my apron didn't turn out right. I think that & being a tomboy scared me off ever trying any crafts beyond cutting some coupons once in a while, darning a hole in whatever and I wrap a mean present! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heh! Yeah but I can't see worth a damn either (though I can do buttons). Not even with a machine. Doesn't even interest me. But the yarn crafts are something else entirely. And hey, I'm an optimist...I think everyone should and can learn the yarn arts. And you've got me totally beat in the present wrapping!

    ReplyDelete
  5. *sew. I can't sew worth a damn. Damn autocorrect foils me again! Lol

    ReplyDelete