Welcome

Welcome and thank you for visiting! Here you will find a bit about my life, including my obsession with the fiber arts and the written word.

Saturday, April 13, 2013

More Tales of The Yarn

Okay.  To give you some idea, this is how it worked.  First, there was the ginormous needles.  Can you tell how big they are?  And then there's the seven different balls of yarn.  Holding all seven strands together makes one very chunky strand.  Of course, when working, you have to be most careful not to "split" the strand; that is to say, make sure that you are catching all seven strands with each stitch and yarn over.  You must pay attention, at least a bit, to make sure that you aren't leaving any strand behind.  So this is what it looked like in progress.  I just did garter stitch (which is knit every row, or in my case, purl every row) and worked until I ran out of the rust color (which sorta looks brownish in the picture) because that was the color I had the least of.  It turned out that knitters intuition prevailed here because I had exactly enough to finish the bind off row.  I didn't do that on purpose so much as go, "Oh.  I don't have enough to knit another row.  Damn me for not paying attention.  Better bind off," and then it somehow miraculously working out just fine.  It turns out its pretty long too, longer than I thought it was going to be.


Our favorite model agreed to show it off for us, because Mary demanded requested pics.  He thinks its wider than it needs to be but he agrees that there was no way that we were frogging it and starting over with less stitches.  It's very warm. And stretchy.  And feels good around your neck.  And it's only too bulky if you're showing off for Sis and start wrapping it around your neck multiple times and then you choke a little bit and...heh heh heh.  Now that winter is over, it seemed rather appropriate that I finally make myself some winter wear, huh?  At some point, I will make myself some fingerless mitts.  I hope.  Someday.




Alas, yarn shopping did not happen.  The good thing about a small local business is that you get to know the owner and have a nice, friendly relationship.  The bad thing about a small local business is that if you need to go home sick, you close the shop and put a sign on the door so that when people show up the store is dark and there is a hand written note on the door apologizing for the inconvience.  So, between that and the other gift cards I need to spend, I'm think of a trip later today.  Or possibly tomorrow.  Sis wants to go but sometimes I think it's better to go on my own.  Then I'm not constantly having to wrangle her (she likes to touch and she can't make decisions) and I can take as much or as little time as I need.  We'll see what I end up doing and I'll be sure to share how it went.

4 comments:

  1. I love those colors together! Thanks for showing the pic. I hope I said please lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the very least, the please was implied and understood! When you see the colors just sitting next to each other, you think there's no way that they go. But they do look good with each other don't they?

      Delete
  2. It looks lovely and cozy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is...soft and cushy. I'm thinking I'm going to be happy to have it when winter rolls around again.

      Delete