Welcome

Welcome and thank you for visiting! Here you will find a bit about my life, including my obsession with the fiber arts and the written word.

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Comfy Pants

Seriously, is there anything better at the end of the day then coming home, getting out of work clothes and putting on a pair of fleece or flannel comfy pant?  Okay, yes, there are probably better things.  But it's one of my simple joys.  It's like the first thing I do when I get home.  And I live in them all weekend.

I sit cross legged or with me legs tucked up underneath my bum almost all the time.  Can't do that comfortably in jeans or dress pants.  Comfy pants not only feel good but they allow me to sit in the way that is most comfortable for me.  Another tick in the win column.  

Okay, yes, I aware that I'm being ridiculous.  

I'm stalling, you see, because I just realized that March has slipped away and it's now April and I didn't do one of the things I said I was going to.  Or rather, I haven't done it yet.  Remember when I said that I had written a short story and I was going to submit it for consideration?  Somehow, I'd gotten it into my head that I was going to do it by the end of March.  I don't know why that was the deadline.  But I haven't done it yet.  And now that the month is over, I feel like I failed to accomplish what I set out to do.  I aware that there is plenty of time and that the deadline isn't actually until August but...I'm scared.  Terrified really. Even when I think about it logically and tell myself that yes, it will probably get rejected if only because there are going to be many submissions and not because it in and of itself is bad.  I try to tell myself it's all practice.  

But underneath it all, I'm down right terrified.  It's giving me a weird twitch right between my eyebrows.

I'm working on working up the nerve. 

6 comments:

  1. I've discovered yoga pants even though I don't do yoga yet. So I'm giving advice I'm afraid to take. You'll regret more things you didn't do/try than the ones you did. You might get a rejection letter, you might get a "revise & resubmit" which is still okay. Or you might get a "sold" letter! You can't win the lottery if you don't buy a ticket.
    Your writing is terrific IMHO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, Mary...considering you read and review books for a living, I'm humbled and thankful you think so. With as much as you read, I think your opinion is somewhat expert. So thank you very much for saying that.

      And yes, I know that I'll regret it if I don't try. Which is why I am going to do it. Your comments, and Alder's too, have helped build my confidence immensely. I think I might have to get someone else to hit the send button though!

      Also, I never thought of yoga pants!

      Delete
  2. "working on working up the nerve" Lol, I know that feeling. Yes, get your BFF to hit the send button while you put your hands over your eyes! And have some comfort food on standby too! And to encourage you here is a list of 15 best-sellers that were rejected by publishers, some of them multiple times:

    1. The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells
    2. Animal Farm by George Orwell
    3. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
    4. The Once and Future King by T. H. White
    5. A Wrinkle In Time by Madeleine L'Engle
    6. Dune by Frank Herbert
    7. Nova by Samuel R. Delany
    8. The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin
    9. Carrie by Stephen King
    10.Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. Rowling
    11.Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell
    12.Lord of the Flies by William Golding
    13. And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street by Dr. Seuss
    14.Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
    15.The Spy Who Came in From the Cold by John le Carre

    As for the comfy pants I do that as well. When I get home from work I put on my workout trousers. Yes, I have two pairs even though it is an embarrassingly long time since I was a member of the gym or since I've been to an exercise class! But they are very comfy. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Thanks! I had known some of them were rejected, but not others so that list is interesting to see. Even though I have no delusions that I'm going to write the next great novel (nor do I even want to) it's still nice to know I would be in good company.

      Comfy pants wearers unite!!

      Delete
  3. You are amazing to listen to. You have a way with words and can capture people in conversation. IF it gets rejected, it would be their loss. I sit and talk with you every day and I am amazed and mesmerized by you sometimes. You are very smart, very interesting and wicked fun. I know all the stuff you write is awesome because it is a reflection of you and you are awesome. I wish I liked to read. I am cheated out of your stuff. Will you tell me the story? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! Oh Cindy Sue! You know they are only a couple thousand words at a time...surely you could get your attention to settle for that long, right? :p

      Thank you for those kind words. Really, I think it was a nice way of saying that I talk too much but...you've made my heart swell. Thank you.

      Delete