Welcome

Welcome and thank you for visiting! Here you will find a bit about my life, including my obsession with the fiber arts and the written word.

Friday, June 7, 2013

Dream A Little Dream

You know when you're really tired and you can barely keep your eyes open and you get into bed and the sheets feel perfect and you settle down in exactly the right spot and you start to drift off almost immediately and within ten minutes you're fast asleep?

Yeah, I love that.

I've heard people say they dream in black and white.  I've heard people say their dreams are mundane.  I've heard people say they don't remember what they dream at all.  That is not the case for me.

My dreams are vivid.  I'm talking like, 3D technicolor awesome.  The weirdest shit goes on during my dream movies and, while I don't remember everything I dream, I do remember whatever I'm dreaming when I cycle back up and wake up.  Always.  

In my dreams, sometimes I'm watching the action and sometimes I'm the main character.  And sometimes, I flop back and forth in the POVs.  This head hopping annoys me as much as when I read a book and the POV switches without a designated and defined break.  

I don't have reoccurring dreams, per se.  I do, however, have reoccurring themes.  Sometimes, I'm driving and I can't stop the car.  I'm standing up on the break, pressing it for all I'm worth, and the car slows and I can control it but I can't make it stop.  I have dreams that I'm hiding in my grandmother's house from a killer trying to break in and axe murder me or that some of my teeth fall out and I can't get them to go back in where they are supposed to.  The salient details are always different in these dreams but the themes are the same.

I've done research about the themes and I guess they are right.  But honestly I don't put a whole lot of stock in that.  Because, no matter what I'm dreaming, it's seriously like a movie and the fact of the matter is, I love experiencing them.  I love dreaming.

Except the time I had a dream where I was kidnapped and the fear I felt lingered for a while after I woke up.  *shudders*  I did not like that.

But my favorite?  My favorite dreams are when I've been watching a show or movie or reading a book and then I dream about the characters...a whole new plot or whatever and I'm involved in the story line. That's just awesome.  And yes, I have dreamed about my own characters and what I saw made it into the plot.

Honestly, I think the reason I like to sleep, and to nap, so much, is because I know when I do, I'll dream.           

2 comments:

  1. That's interesting, I wonder if all authors have vivid dreams? I've had times when I've written down my dreams in an attempt to make something of them, but when I'm I'm not making an effort to remember them I wake with no memory of them. When I was writing them down, I used to do work with them such as write poems based on them, or go back into them as a visualisation. That last is really powerful, you put your consciousness into inanimate objects that are in the dream - the pavement, a door in a building, a book- and it can be really revelatory about your state of mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh. I've never tried the latter and actually, somehow I don't think I'd do very well at it. Those kinds of visualizations have never worked well for me. Which is sad because I've always longed to do something like that and have one of those revelations that others have.

      Delete