Welcome

Welcome and thank you for visiting! Here you will find a bit about my life, including my obsession with the fiber arts and the written word.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Let's Talk About Tropes

Tropes make me happy and I could use a lot of happy right now, so that's the topic of discussion today!

I've had lots and lots of plot bunnies running 'round my brain lately.  But the thing is, they sort of fall into a set number of tropes.  And, funnily enough, it just so happens they are the tropes that I like to read the best...imagine that!  So, I thought I'd talk about a few of my very favorites... you know, the ones I'll buy and read just based on the trope even if the story is bad?  Yeah, those ones.

Friends to lovers--Love it.  Yeah.  We two people are friends first and then it develops into love, that just flips my switch.  Especially when it's a slow gradual build up and then it's like bam!  Not only are they in love but they've been in love and didn't realize it.  Makes me grin.

Reunited Lovers--okay, I admit it. I'm a real sucker for this one.  Lovers that are apart for whatever reason and then their paths cross again years later and the fire is rekindled and it's better than it ever was.  My very favorite incarnation of this trope is when one of the MC's did something seemingly horrible and it caused all sorts of resentment and anger and pain and then when the lovers reunite, and the truth comes out, and then there's forgiveness and love that so strong...happy sigh.

Fated Mates--This is my favorite version of love at first sight.  I'm a fan of the paranormal, this is not a secret, and I love the idea of there being one person out there that's perfect for you.  This leap, for me, is easy to make and I can suspend belief entirely to jump on the fated mate bandwagon.  Here we have two MCs that are destined to be together.  I like it when there's a little struggle and conflict before the happily ever after. (Though I will say that when the two MCs meet and then five and half seconds later they are proclaiming their undying love for each other irks me.  Can we at least get to know each other first?!)

The Virgin Hero--Need I say more?  One MC has little to no experience, the other gets to show exactly how amazing love can be.  Swoon worthy.  Plus, when they get to the end and are in forever and ever kind of love and that little virgin no more hero will only have been with one person, the person they love, for his/her entire life?  There's something so wholly romantic about that.

The Broken Hero--Okay, this one hits every last one of my hot buttons.  I'm a complete and total gooey mess for the broken man (for me, it doesn't work quiet as well with a broken heroine...if that makes me sexist, so be it).  Whether its mental or physical, I don't care.  He's got scars and he needs to be healed.  And love is what's going to do it!

So yeah, there's my top five.  I like it when they mix and match a bit, too.  I've written stories in each of those tropes.  I've written ones that combine two of those tropes.  You think I could combine all five?  Virgin friends who become lovers and realize they are fated mates but circumstance force them apart until years later when one of them is broken which is the perfect opportunity for them to reunite...Set it during holiday time and you've got my favorite book ever.

How about you?  Any favorite tropes?  Any that really annoy you and you steer clear of if you can help it?

18 comments:

  1. OMG we're twins separated at birth. Those are all my faves too! If I read a blurb like the ones listed I'm pretty much sold on it. I'll tell you what doesn't work - the nanny's third cousin's test tube baby etc lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh. That's cause they're the best ones! And lol Mary! I'm gonna be giggling about the nanny's third cousin's test tube baby for the rest of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don’t like reunited lovers. There seem to be so many where one of the main characters goes back to their home town and there is the girl/guy they went out with in high school or the bad boy/girl they didn’t openly go out with but had a few hot kisses/gropes/lost their virginity to or the ex-husband/wife. You can see I’ve read a few of them, but I’m fed up of them. The person who stayed behind is almost always the sheriff now, too. Is that the only job for romance heroes in small towns? *g* Oh, or he owns a bar. If it’s a woman she often has her own business of some girly kind *grr* - a toy shop, a bakery, a B&B. She’s rarely running a haulage business or is a civil engineer. Hah. Oops, I’m getting a bit carried away here, lol.

    I do like The Broken Hero and Fated Mates, though.

    Other tropes I like are:

    Marriage of convenience.
    Amnesia
    The bodyguard
    The emotionally cold hero - (Mr Spock I’m looking at you.) The hero here can be a scientist, a scholar, an assassin, a warrior.

    Inter-species romance -This brings in angels, demons, werewolves, fae and the like and also aliens - why, Mr Spock, there you are again.

    I don’t like secret babies, that one also combines with reunited lovers, of course. In fact I prefer my romances to be child-free zones, even, and especially, in the epilogues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, first? Mr Spock is mine, both Nimoy and Quinto. You can't have him.

      I totally get your beef with reunited lovers and I agree with all those complaints. I've made them myself. Except...yeah, it still flips my switches, even when I'm angry at the sameness :) I can't explain it, I'm weird that way.

      I forgot marriage of convenience! That's a good one too!

      And yeah, keep the kids away. Well, I'll qualify it by saying I'm okay with children if they are a peripheral part of the story. When they are smack dab in the middle, I just get irritated.

      Delete
    2. Alder I love the ones on your list too! And lol on your reunited rant! I agree totally in the MF books. Works for me in MM. Lol on the sheriff!

      Delete
  4. *splutter* What?? Hah! Since I'm sure I first saw Mr Spock before you were even born, Mr Spock is all mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gah! You're going to pull the age card on me?! That's completely unfair! It's not my fault my parents didn't plan me until 1980. I didn't have a say in the matter!

      Delete
  5. We don't have to fight! You guys can have Nimoy. I want Pine & Quinto lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you miss where I already claimed Quinto?! Mine!!

      Delete
    2. Totally missed that! Don't your guests get served first!!

      Delete
    3. When it comes to menz I'm claiming as mine? No. No they don't. You can totally have Chris Pine though!

      Delete
    4. LOL! We're not going to win here, Mary. :D

      Delete
    5. Lol Alder! I wonder if Kim is bribable?

      Delete
    6. Kris not Kim omg. I can't even blame autocorrect lol! Been up since 5:30 is all.

      Delete
    7. MINE! Oh, wait, though, I totally can be bribed. Any yarn I want, any time I want it and you can have all my menz!

      Delete
    8. LOL, Kris, are you sure about that? ALL your menz? Even the broken, virgin hero who's your fated mate?? Hmm, he might also have enough money to buy you your own yarn shop...after all, these fated mate types always want to make their mates HAPPY. :0)

      Delete
    9. BWHAHAHAHAHAHA! You win all the points, Alder! Way to bring us back on topic here!!

      Delete
    10. Lol Alder, you're a genius!

      Delete