Welcome

Welcome and thank you for visiting! Here you will find a bit about my life, including my obsession with the fiber arts and the written word.

Thursday, June 27, 2013

For Me

So, I'm working on this shawl, right?  The one I started to play with some techniques so I could get a feel for it when I finally get to Auntie's shawl?  Yeah, it's totally going to be for me.  It's very plain, nothing too exciting about it, just garter stitch and yarn overs.  But it's this lovely royal blue color (blue is totally my signature color) and I bought the yarn at my LYS at my shopping excursion after my birthday.  I had thought, when I bought it, that I would make me some fingerless mitts (been meaning to make myself a pair for years!) but *shrugs* it just started being a shawl.  I don't know that, when I started it, I intended to finish it or just play for a bit and then frog it all and use the yarn for something else.  But now, it's going to get finished, eventually, and it will be for me.  I'm gonna get me a shawl pin, too.

I found this site The Shawl Pin Store when I decided Auntie needed a shawl pin to go with hers.  And I want, like, 3/4 of the things there.  Just want to buy them all.  Like, when I was looking, for a minute my brain went "This could be our new thing, we can make a bunch of shawls and get all sorts of pins."  I had to tell my brain to shut up.  

It gets cold at work.  During the winter, sure, but also during the summer because of the air conditioning and there's a vent that blows right on my desk.  And the other day, when I was chilly, I thought, "If I had that shawl, it'd be perfect right now."  I have a cardigan at work but that was too warm.  I just needed a little something.

So, yeah, the shawl is for me.  That makes the total of things I've made myself up to five.  No, wait, six.  *nods*  Two blankets, a halter top, a scarf, a lacy cardigan type sweater, and now a shawl.  Go me!

6 comments:

  1. Goodness! There are as many tropes in shawl pins as there are in romance novels! I had no idea.

    And about these 6 items you've made for yourself, that's over how many years?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't either! Can I tell you the time suck that was that site when I first discovered it? I came out of the webz coma going, "um, where did the last three hours go?"

      And, uh, let's see, 12 years maybe? But the first few I wasn't so hard core into the crafting so, um, we'll say nine.

      Delete
  2. Ha! You were trying to slip that past us, weren't you? Make us think you'd knitted 6 items for yourself recently...uh,uh, can't get anything by me. :0)

    You need to make more things for yourself, you deserve to have that scrumptious yarn for yourself. And who better to model the finished garments than the maker! Your mission, Kris, should you choose to accept it... whoa, now we're into movie tropes! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well that first blanket was...nine years ago. I just did the math. And the second blanket, sweater, and top was about 5 or 6 years ago. Hey, the scarf was recent! And I've got that awesome yarn coming my way...that's definitely going to be for me. Will that satisfy the mission? Because, I'll tell you, it seems a little impossible. ;) (btw? Now I have the MI theme song in my head!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh-oh, that tune will be stuck there for the rest of the day. :)

    I hope your yarn arrives safe and sound and soon. It seems a while since you ordered it. A shawl with a new shawl pin for yourself sounds like a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still stuck...lol

      It was only ten business days ago..so I'm hoping any day now. I really can't wait! I think the yarn, plus a pretty pin, will be lovely.

      Delete