Welcome

Welcome and thank you for visiting! Here you will find a bit about my life, including my obsession with the fiber arts and the written word.

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Oranges

A couple of years ago, Sis worked bad hours; from 1 PM to 11 PM.  One night (it was a Friday or a Saturday, I don't remember which) I got a hankering for oranges.  It was winter, the roads were kinda crappy, and I asked her to stop at the store on her way home to get oranges...she went right past the store to get to home.  She said no.  I promised her I wouldn't peel them around her (she says citrus gives her migraines...I don't entirely believe that) and would she please stop and grab a bag of oranges?  She staunchly refused.  She wouldn't budge.

All I could think about was the oranges.  I wanted them so badly.  Finally, I couldn't stand it anymore and I had to go get the oranges.  I had no choice.  I HAD TO have them.  The BFF, at the time, lived down the street and around the corner so at 11 o'clock at night, I drove over, picked up the BFF (because she's awesome and of course she would go with me), went to the store a few blocks away, got the oranges, dropped the BFF back off, and came home.

Whilst I was out, Sis came home.  She asked Mom where I was.  Mom told her I went to get oranges.  Sis rolled her eyes.  I got back and went to the kitchen where she was making her dinner, opened the bag of oranges, and took like four out of the bag.

"You were serious?!" Sis asked all mock shocked and surprised for the benefit of her audience.  (Toby was here that night and it was before he and I were what we are.)

I shot her a dirty look.  "I told you I wanted oranges."

I then happily ate every last one I brought upstairs with me.  And was satisfied.

What's the point of this story, you wonder, other than being an amusing little anecdote?  The craving for those oranges was so intense, so all consuming, that it was all I could think about until I actually had the oranges.  So, ever since then, anything that consumes my thoughts gets compared to the oranges.

I want a vacation.  I want to actually go somewhere for a few days, stay in a hotel, see the sights and the scenery, and just have some time.  I'm thinking the Adirondacks, because it's a place that I love dearly and there's no part of that region that's not breathtakingly beautiful.  Even if I have to go by myself, which may well happen as the wonderful BFF already has a vacation planned, I want to go.  It's all I can think about.

It's the oranges all over again.

 

2 comments:

  1. I've just been having a look at your Adirondacks link - it looks amazing. I notice there are arts and crafts festivals throughout the summer, that sounds like something you would enjoy. I hope you get your holiday. Think of the story ideas you might get by travelling to a different place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always. Always when I travel, there are a hundred little plot bunnies clamoring for attention.

      And it really is breath stealing, heart stoppingly beautiful. Alas, if I do get to go, it probably won't be until September, as that would work best for taking time from work and also a little money saved. Even still, it would be gorgeous and recharging.

      Delete