Welcome

Welcome and thank you for visiting! Here you will find a bit about my life, including my obsession with the fiber arts and the written word.

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Hiding

I'm more honest and open here on the blog than I am in real life.

There are very few people in my life who know that I write.  Even fewer still who know that a lot of what I write is M/M romance.  I'm not ashamed of what I write.  Part of it is that I don't talk about it with people so that they don't either A) pressure me to send things out to publishers or B) make those comments about how it's easy to write or that romance books aren't "real" writing.  And yes, there is that small part of me that is avoiding having the "But you're straight, and a girl" conversations. (Of which, I've had a few, with people that find out I read M/M.  I try to tell them that love is love, and everyone should be able to love who they want without fear, but, for some reason they agree and still don't understand why I read gay romance.)

I can count the number of people on one hand that actually even know I have a blog.  Literally.  There are five.  I think it's because I'm so open here...and I don't want people to know.  I know I'm hiding.  I know it.  But it feels so very much safer to let them only have the parts of me that make us all comfortable.

I will say that I fly my geek flag a lot more proudly than I used to.  It used to be a tightly guarded secret.  But now, though I don't talk it about it a lot, I have no problem raising it up and waving it around when the topic comes up.  

The people who I'm closest to, who I can trust, know all the bits of me (except the blog in some instances).  Part of not sharing it with everyone is about protecting myself from unnecessary negativity.  But part of it is just hiding.  

That makes me feel like a coward.  And I don't know if I'm brave enough or strong enough to change that.  

2 comments:

  1. I know if I had a blog I wouldn't tell anyone I know, either. I'd want to be able to write whatever I wanted, without worrying about what anyone I know would think of me. In fact, if they knew, I'd have to watch what I said in it and what would be the point of that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And with that, you've just put everything into a much better perspective for me. I mean, I'm careful about what I say, like using nicknames for the people in my life or being vague when it's a sensitive subject, but I don't censor. And that is definitely freeing. Thanks, Alder! :)

      Delete