Welcome

Welcome and thank you for visiting! Here you will find a bit about my life, including my obsession with the fiber arts and the written word.

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

The Gift of Giving

If you don't know the feeling I'm talking about, then, I have to admit, I feel a little sorry for you.

I like getting gifts, I'm not going to lie.  Receiving something someone else has picked out for you is pretty awesome.  But for me, the greater joy is giving a gift. I love that moment when someone opens the gift and their eyes light up and they are just so very pleased with it.  It totally makes my day when that happens.

Now, with the gifts I make, I go through this terrible cycle, vacillating back and forth between being absolutely certain that they are going to love the crap out of it and being absolutely certain it sucks donkey balls and they are going to hate it.  I don't know why I do this because no one has ever told me that they've hated something...well, except my mother who didn't actually hate it, but just thought the afghan had too many holes and wouldn't use it by itself, only on top of another blanket but anyway...

If anybody has actually hated my gifts, they fake it well for me.  And if I don't ever see them wearing my gift, if it's a wearable item, I just tell myself that they wear it when I don't see. 

But that moment of joy, when they tell me they love it and it's perfect?  When they are so happy that I've given them something that they adore?  Yeah, that's the moment of awesome right there.  I save those moments in my brain and pull them out when I'm feeling low.  Knowing I made someone else happy makes me happy. 

2 comments:

  1. "Every gift from a friend is a wish for your happiness." - Richard Bach.

    So you're not just giving gifts, you're giving wishes too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness...I love that. Love it! Thank you!

      Delete