Welcome

Welcome and thank you for visiting! Here you will find a bit about my life, including my obsession with the fiber arts and the written word.

Sunday, May 19, 2013

A Bit Of Me

I went back and forth for a long time about whether I wanted to put this up, but in the end, I decieded to do it.

First, I have to say that I had a really fun time at the Race for the Cure yesterday.  It was not surprising that there was something like 6,000 people there.  But what I loved the best was seeing the women in the bright pink survivor shirts.  And most of them were carrying little signs where they wrote in how many years they'd been cancer free.  There were some with small numbers, a year, or three, or four, but there were some that were much longer, seventeen years or twenty two.  One woman I saw had been cancer free for 35 years.  Can you imagine being diagnosed three decades ago when there weren't the medical advancements that there are now?  I can't imagine the terror that a cancer diagnosis would cause then.  But there she was, thrity five years later, still determined to make a difference.

Anyway, our table had such good freebies, we ended up running out.  Fortunately, it was just as the actual walk/run portion of the events were getting underway, and most everyone went to go do that and we packed up and went home.  But first I stopped by another table where my friend, Cindy Sue, was working.  She works for another diagnostic imaging company but they do a lot of different kinds of tests (unlike my office that only does the one kind of testing).  One of our radiologists (who we actually share, he reads for both groups) diagnosed his own wife last year with breast cancer.  They caught it early and they were able to treat her successfully.  But there was a huge push by this doctor to get a huge team together and raise lots of money.  Which they did.  Cindy Sue was working at the table, painting faces.  She's very, incredibly artistic and I am in awe of her talent.  I wanted to share it with you, even though it just a wee bit of artistry, because I can never get stuff to come out like this when I try.  But it's on my face.  So that's why I wasn't sure if I was going to put it up.  But, like I said in the first sentence, I decided to do it anyway.  So, here's Cindy Sue's bit of paint magic...and a bit of me, in profile.  Focus on the paint and not me, okay?

The dark under my eye?  Cause I was up at 5:45 on a Saturday!

2 comments:

  1. She did a really good job! That's very pretty, thanks for posting. Did you keep it on all day? And the thought of getting up at 5.45 on any morning makes me flinch! I'm not a morning person. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did keep it on all day, washed it off right before I went to bed. It was a bit of advertising bc everywhere I went, people commented on it. I'm not a morning person either! Or a night person. I'm more of a late afternoon/evening person.

      Delete