Welcome

Welcome and thank you for visiting! Here you will find a bit about my life, including my obsession with the fiber arts and the written word.

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Some New Stuff

Sometimes, I'm painfully dumb about the simple answers.  They elude me until, like Paul on the road to Damascus, it strikes out of nowhere and I get brilliance.  Sometimes, this happens with my writing, like exactly why Daniel wears those outdated overalls (shh, you'll meet him soon) but sometimes it happens with the yarn, too.  Yesterday, when I was walking outside, it struck me.  I have all these left over skeins of baby yarn...one or two from past projects that don't go together in any way.  And I had no idea what to do with them.  But it hit me, I can make hats and booties.  There's enough on a skein to have a matching pair.  So, I found some patterns last night...nothing complicated, just easy peasy.  But it will occupy a few hours of my time, use up some extra yarn, and it'll be nice to have them on hand.  There are a few babies in the future.

But first, I have to whip up this extra cute cactus pin cushion.  A friend of mine requested it and sent a pic and it's easy enough to make.  I have all the yarn just sitting in my stash and it won't take very long at all.  So, I'm going to see if I can get that done tonight.  And of course, pics will follow.

And Sis has been, not so subtly, occasionally hinting that she wants her blanket.  I tried the "it's getting warm now and you won't need it till the fall" tack but she wasn't biting.  I still don't have all the yarn for it.  Think she'll let me get away with it just being a wrap?

And speaking of which, Toby saw it the other day and now he wants one.  He tried the puppy dog eyes and the pouty lip and the pleading.  But he didn't know that doesn't work on me. I do have a kryptonite, and Sis is the master of it, but I don't think she'll share the trick.  He got his fingerless mitts, with mitten flap, sized to fit, for all his beta reading.  That's a pretty good trade off, if you ask me.  Besides, he yarns, too.  He can make one himself.  

Anyway, cactus pin cushion, some baby hats, another baby blanket, Sis's blanket...and here I was thinking I didn't have anything to work on!      

4 comments:

  1. My friend who's the crafter, knits little hats and jumpers (you say sweaters, I think) for the premature babies in the local hospital. They have to be in white only, though. She also knits babies' jumpers in coloured yarn which are sent to hospitals/health centres in Malawi. Perhaps there is a charity in your neighbourhood which would like babies clothes.

    You've been waiting a long time for the yarn for your sister's afghan. Do you think it will come eventually? Will you be able to alter it at all to have another colour edge or something if the yarn doesn't come?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's a wonderful thing your friend does. There is a children's hospital here...I may look into that. Even the older kids might like something to snuggle with...and that would be a good way to use up some of the other extra yarn I have, too. Excellent idea!

      As for that yarn, well, I just looked and it's still pending. I don't know what the heck is going on with it. I can't imagine that they haven't gotten more in the last four months. I might just cancel the order and try again somewhere else.

      Delete
  2. I'm laughing at thinking she might be okay with just a wrap! That's your answer when someone's in a hurry. Hand them whatever's done on the project. I'm sure they'll say, "Never mind." Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh. She wouldn't even be that nice. She's just hand it back and be like, finish it and quickly. Gotta love sisters!

      Delete