Welcome

Welcome and thank you for visiting! Here you will find a bit about my life, including my obsession with the fiber arts and the written word.

Monday, May 20, 2013

Some Advice for the Beginner

**Special Programming Note--My laptop is being...weird.  I'm not sure yet if it's an actual problem that needs to be fixed or if it's just being strange right now and will stop it.  That being said, writing Soul Bond is not happening at the moment.  I have all the notes and ideas, but nothing written up.  I will hopefully have the laptop conundrum solved within the week.  But until I do, don't expect to see any story.  I apologize in advance.**  

Over the years, I've gleaned a lot of bits of information about the yarning arts; some through trial and error and some through the webz or TV shows.  With the interest from a couple of people who maybe want to possibly learn how to knit and/or crochet, as well as the ladies who've recently asked for my help, it got me to thinking about the tips I would give someone who was just starting out and had no idea what they were doing. I came up with a couple that, in my experience, are essential so I thought I'd plop 'em here.

--The first kind of yarn you should buy is worsted (medium) weight in an acrylic blend.  There are two very good reasons for this: they are usually on the cheaper end of things and you don't want to spend a ridiculous amount of money on something if you end up not liking it because then you've got a skein of yarn hanging around that is just a waste.  But also, and maybe more importantly, the acrylic or acrylic blend yarn withstands the process of ripping out mistakes very well and can be used again, which is also not a waste.  Some of the more delicate and fabulous kinds of yarn end up getting all gross if you have to rip it back more than once and then...waste.  See where I'm going with this?  So yeah, acrylic or acrylic blend is the way to go in the beginning.  And sometimes even later because really, all yarns have their place and there's no reason to get snobby about high end, expensive, natural fiber yarns...oh wait, that's a different soap box.  *clears throat*

--The worsted weight is important because it's well...middle of the road thickness.  This allows for middle of the road sized needles or hooks and I've found that that's the size that's easiest to work with.  Too small and it's really hard to learn and see.  Too big has it's own set of problems, namely that it gets kind of unwieldy and that gets consternating and frustrating if you don't know what your doing.  So!  To sum up, medium weight yarn and then a hook that's siz H or I (maybe even J) or needles that are sized 8 or 9 or 10.   (You may find people that say differently but I just don't happen to agree with them on this particular topic)

--One more tip about yarn--when learning or practicing a new stitch pattern?  Use light colored yarn!  There's a very practical reason for this; in the lighter colors, you can actually see the stitches!  No, really.  That dark royal blue yarn might look heavenly and you may want to use it for a project, but when you're just starting out or practicing a pattern you're unfamiliar with and want to see how it looks?  You want to actually see what's going on and dark yarn sometimes hides stitches.  Trust me, light colors okay?

--For the knitters--buy circular needles.  They are easier to handle then some of the straight needles and they can do everything you need.  You can knit back and forth or in the round with the circ's.  If you don't have copious amounts of money to spend on needles so that you have a size 8 needles in the 9" size, the 12" size, dpns (double pointed needles) and circular...just go for the circular.  Because it can do what all of those others can do.  And the longer the cable between the needles on a circular, the better.  If you don't know why, google magic loop method for knitting in the round.  But anyway, that's the most versatile kind of needle, so that's what I suggest.  I use them for almost everything almost all the time.

--For the crocheters--invest in an ergonomic handle for your hooks.  Now, there are sets out there that have interchangable heads to go with the ergonomic handles, but they can be a bit pricey.  I have one and I don't use it all that much.  Because what feels more comfortable is a much cheaper version that works with the set of hooks you already have.  It's important to get one because it keeps your hand from cramping when holding the hooks, but even more importantly, it keeps the carpal tunnel at bay because your hand is in a more natural position.  Get one, use it...you don't want to have to give up the yarn because the numbness and tingles mean you can't hold a hook anymore, do you?


Ok, so all that rambling later, those are some of the essential things I would tell a beginning yarner.  Some important things to know before you begin the adventure.  You may find, as you get into it, that you don't agree with me, and that's perfectly okay.  These things are just things that I've learned as I've gone on my yarning journey.  

8 comments:

  1. Good tips, Kris. Re kinds of yarn, I'm reading a Debbie Macomber at the moment, 'Starting Now' is the title, and the MC goes into the yarn shop and they had yarn made of corn silk and soy. As a non-crafter I found that surprising. Have you come across these?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That particular combination? No. But I'm not surprised. I have heard of soy. And there are a lot of companies that are making yarns with more renewable fibers...like bamboo. Bamboo is a big one because it only takes something like 56 days before the plant is tall enough to cut again. Personally, I'm not a fan of bamboo because it's slippery and very heavy once it's all worked up. But that's just me.

      Did you know Debbie Macomber has her own series of yarn? I guess it goes with the whole knitting series she writes about the shop on Blossom Street? I've never read them but the yarns are seriously lovely.

      Delete
  2. Sorry I didn't mean one yarn made of corn silk and soy, I meant one of corn silk and one of soy. I bought a pair of bamboo socks at a health food store but they went through at the toe really quickly, so I'm not inclined to buy another pair. I didn't know Debbie Macomber has her own brand yarns, good marketing ploy, though. You might have your brand-name yarns one day! Interestingly, I've just this minute come to page 358 in the novel and the MC is going to the yarn shop to buy wool to knit her love interest a sweater!!! Umm, should I be worried?? They've already had one split up and there are only about 80 pages left to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that makes more sense. I believe it that there are yarns made out of corn silk though. And heh, boyfriend sweater curse! Maybe she's going to put a new and exciting twist on it?

      My own brand of yarn? Surprisingly, I've never thought about that before...and of course, now it's all I can think about!

      Delete
  3. OMG, I'm on page 394 and he's just told her it's over! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boyfriend sweater curse strikes again!!!! Bwhahahaha!

      Delete
  4. LOL They're back together by page 413 and all ends happily, but she better keep away from sweaters!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *snickersnort* I loved your abridged version of the tale. It made me grin!

      Delete