Welcome

Welcome and thank you for visiting! Here you will find a bit about my life, including my obsession with the fiber arts and the written word.

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Soul Bond: Part 15

This is it...the very last episode of Soul Bond!

I'm going to miss these boys.  They have a special place in my heart.  Fortunately, we have another story in the works so I'm certain we'll see them again.

There's no epilogue for this story which shocked the shit out of me.  Because, I really love epilogues.  But nope, this one ends here.  And I think it's a good place to end, if I do say so myself.

At some point today, a tab will go up at the top if you want to read the whole story in it's entirety.

Hope you enjoy this last installment of Jared and Liam's story.  


15


 


            Liam padded barefoot to the front door and was utterly unsurprised to see Kelly on the porch, his hand raised to knock again. Liam stepped aside and gestured for Kelly to enter.
            “Where’s Jared?” Kelly asked, stripping off his overcoat and setting Nola down on the floor.  The feline immediately scampered off to go plan in the sunroom.  All the familiars seemed to flock there whenever they were in Liam’s house.
            Liam couldn’t help the satisfied smirk.  “Sleeping.”
            Kelly raised an eyebrow in surprise, “It’s two in the afternoon!”
            “We’ve had a long couple of days,” Liam said. His grin grew and he shrugged one shoulder.  “And even longer nights.”
            Kelly just shook his head with an amused chuckled.  He toed out of his boots and then headed for the kitchen.  Liam trailed behind and rolled his eyes when Kelly helped himself to a beer.  Kelly gave him a grin and twisted the top off a second bottle before handing it over.
            “Thanks,” Liam said, his tone dripping with sarcasm.  “It’s very nice of you to offer me some of my own beer.”
            Kelly just laughed and took a seat at the table, turning the chair backwards and straddling the seat.  Liam sat across from the man and waited.  He knew that Kelly had come here for a purpose and he just had to wait till Kelly had his thoughts organized enough. 
            “So,” Kelly eventually said, drawing the word out.  “Morgan’s in town. Came to see me a bit ago.”
            Liam said nothing.  Kelly knew damn well how Liam felt about that woman.  Even if he did believe that she was after the greater good, and he wasn’t entirely sure that he did, he certainly didn’t approve of her methods.  He wasn’t going to make this easy on Kelly.
            “She wants to talk to Jared,” Kelly said, his tone resigned.
            “Nope,” Liam didn’t even hesitate.
            Kelly heaved a sigh, “Liam.”
            “How about hell no?”
            Kelly actually quirked a bit of a smile at that. “You know it’s his choice right?”
            “I could make it so he does what I say,” Liam said, his scowl only partially real. 
            “Yeah but you won’t.”
            Kelly was right. He wouldn’t.  It didn’t mean that he liked the fact that Jared would want to have a conversation with Morgan and probably let her dig around in his memories again.  But Jared had the right make that choice.  That didn’t mean Liam wouldn’t step in if he felt things were going too far.
            “I told Morgan she needed to lay everything out with me before I’d even consider letting her talk to a member of my coven,” Kelly said out of the blue after several long minutes of silence.
            Liam choked on the sip of beer he had just taken and barely managed to swallow it down instead of spewing it all over the table.  He coughed for a minute, then turned his incredulous stare toward Kelly.
            His friend gave him a half smile.  “You were right the other day.  I respect the hell out of that woman. I trust her.  I truly believe she is doing good things and will straighten out the Tribunal.  But she’s got to give me a little of that back if she wants me to keep being her lap dog.” The last was said with a little bit of self deprecation. 
            “What did she say?”
            Kelly sighed and toyed with his bottle for a moment.  “Most of her plans include taking care of the practitioners that have lost their familiars.  She’s putting in place better policies to deal with those that have gone dark.  And she’s working on getting regional councils set up so that there’s mid level management, people that are more accessible to hear grievances and take action.”
            Liam nodded.  “All that sounds very reasonable, and things that we’ve been talking about for years as being necessary.”
            Kelly made a noise of agreement. “I told her flat out I wasn’t going to be on any council, my job is to take care of this coven and that’s how I want it.”
            “How’d she take that?” Liam asked with a snort.  He couldn’t imagine Morgan would have been pleased to hear that.
            “Surprisingly well.  She’s got other things in mind for me.”
            That sounded ominous.  “Like?” Liam prompted when Kelly didn’t elaborate.
            “I have to go out of town for a few days,” was all Kelly said.  It took Liam a couple of seconds to catch up to what appeared to be a complete topic change but eventually, the pieces slotted into place.
            “She sent the packet, huh?” he asked.  Kelly just nodded, but he didn’t look upset by it and Liam felt himself relax.
            “Basically, it’s a problem case.  One that normally would get a death warrant attached to it.  Instead, she’s put new protocols in place.  I get to check things out and take the course of action I deem best.”
            Liam gave a low whistle. “That’s a lot of power. Are you…” he trailed off for a moment.  He couldn’t help but remember what Kelly had gone through before.  “Are you going to be okay with that?”
            Kelly nodded, then shrugged.  “I’m a lot more grounded than I was ten years ago. I have Jay to keep me solid.  I think I’ll be fine.  But, you know, you see me slipping and it’s your job to yank me back.”
            “Count on it,” he agreed without hesitation.
            “What’s going on?” Jared’s sleepy voice chimed in from the doorway.  He was disheveled mess and it was clear he’d literally just rolled out of bed.  It was a miracle the man even had had the presence of mind to pull on a pair of boxers.  But that was all he wore, his hair stuck up in a hundred different directions and his eyes were barely open.  He shuffled into the room and headed straight for Liam, not even hesitating to straddle Liam’s thigh and snuggle his face right into Liam’s neck.  Liam immediately wrapped his arms around Jared and rubbed up and down his back.
            “Did you notice that Kelly’s here, angel?”
            “Ask me if I give a fuck,” Jared mumbled into Liam’s skin.
            It startled a laugh out of Liam.  He wasn’t sure if he’d ever heard Jared swear before.  But his angel didn’t do well without a full eight hours of sleep.  By Liam’s count, it had only been five since they had fallen asleep last.
            “So Jared,” Kelly said conversationally, his tone bright with amusement.  “Have you made permanent plans?”
            Jared heaved a very put upon sigh.  He turned his head enough so that he could see Kelly out of one eye.  All Liam felt through their bond was extreme tiredness and irritation at the man in their kitchen.  “Yes. I’m moving in here.  Permanently.  I’m Liam’s partner. Permanently.  And, if you’ll allow it,” Jared paused, and his voice softened a little when he spoke again, “I’d like to join your coven.  Permanently.”
            Kelly laughed and it was a joyous sound, “If you think you can handle this big lug permanently, then of course you’re welcome.”
            Jared turned enough to offer Kelly a real smile and a heartfelt thanks before he snuggled back into Liam’s arms.  They sat like that for a while, discussing the particulars of Kelly’s trip and the fact that Morgan was till in town and wanting to speak with Jared.  Jared paused before he agreed to meet with her, checking Liam’s face to make sure it was okay.  Liam appreciated it even if it wasn’t completely necessary.
            After Kelly was gone and Jared was fed, they snuggled together on the couch.  Jared was practically in his lap and both men were happy to have him there.
            “There’s going to be a lot of changes in the near future, huh?” Jared asked quietly.  Liam could feel his anxiety at the thought and immediately started rubbing a soothing hand up and down Jared’s back.  He loved the way the man melted into him when he relaxed.
            “Yeah.  Seems so.  But there’s not need to worry, right?  Because I’m going to take care of you.”
            Jared nodded and snuggled in closer.  “I’ll take care of you back.”
            Liam kissed Jared’s temple, inhaling his sweet but woodsy smell.  “That’s the best vow I’ve ever heard.”


© 2013 all rights reserved

2 comments:

  1. Aw, I like Jared with "his hair stuck up in a hundred different directions" :)
    And Liam barefoot. ;) Nice ending to this pairing, Kris. I'm looking forward to what's going to happen next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alder. I really love these two and the way they settled into each other.

      And I can just bet you're looking forward to the next installment! :p

      Delete