Welcome

Welcome and thank you for visiting! Here you will find a bit about my life, including my obsession with the fiber arts and the written word.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Fulfilling a want

There is a project that I've been wanting to make for quite a while now.  I've thought about it at least a dozen times.  Most likely more than that.  But ultimately, I never end up making it.

The project is an afghan, knitted mitered squares, that you build upon.  Each square is knitted off the next and it grows and grows until you have a finished afghan.  It seems, to me, the perfect way to use up extra yarn.  But repeatedly, I don't make it.  

Why, you ask?

Well, I have this brilliant idea, you see, of being random.  All the colors will compliment each other, but where the colors end up?  That's random.  I don't do so well with random.  That little bit of OCD that lives in me wants to make it symmetrical.  And the same color can't be too close to itself.  Which defeats the purpose, of course.  And I need the yarn to be all the same weight and type.  Other people might be able to make this particular project with anything that's left over, but I just can't.

But now?  With all the left over from the Tom Baker scarf and the mitts, I think I finally have the right kind of yarn and complimentary colors to make it work.  I think I have enough to make the entire afghan.  And the panic that bubbles up when I worry that I don't have enough is easily assuaged by knowing that I can get an additional ball or ten if I really need it.  But I really don't think I will.  And I've figured out a way to put them together that will make it grow in an even way so that I don't have a random empty space if I do run out of yarn.  

I would be OK if the miters point in different directions.  I won't be OK if the colors don't work out.  So, therefore, I will plan out the color part (I have colored pencils and everything) and then make the thing.

Of course, Sis's afghan comes first.  This will be my "in between" project.  The one that I work on whenever the mood strikes.  

2 comments:

  1. This sounds really interesting! This season is definitely one where you are stretching yourself, with this project and with your coming post at Joyfully Jay. Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to be brave and go outside the comfort zone, but it's not always easy. Even with something as simple as the yarn, it can make me uncomfortable. But I'm hoping, that if I stretch myself a little bit at a time, I'll eventually expand my horizons.

      Delete