Welcome

Welcome and thank you for visiting! Here you will find a bit about my life, including my obsession with the fiber arts and the written word.

Monday, February 4, 2013

Plot Bunnies

I have long since blamed the muse for the things that go on in my head.  I've been being subjected to a rare treat of her talents lately.

Watching a music performance on TV, my mind was suddenly awash in a character with a lot of talent and a scene in a bar. These characters were talking to me in that way they have and I was thinking things like how did they get there and what led them to this place in their lives?

A song that I happen to adore came on and the next thing I knew I wasn't singing along, I was lost in a different scene, with different characters, and trying to figure out how they got to that point.

A phrase someone said and I was off and running with yet different characters and a different set of back stories.


I like to write, I love to create characters, but seriously?  There seems to be too much going on.  Why would my muse keep planting plot bunnies?  Is she just using the spaghetti method?  Throwing a bunch of stuff out there to see what sticks?  It's getting pretty crowded in my head.  I need room for essential things.

Do normal people's brains work this way?  And what am I supposed to do with all these thoughts?   

4 comments:

  1. Yes, can I ask what you do?

    Do you fill a notebook with all these ideas so you can come back to them at some point? And if you do write down brief notes on each of them, does that satisfy them for the moment? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes, I leave them in my head, let them swim around in there and either grow or die. When they are particularly insistent, I write notes (I have many, many, a piece of paper floating around). Sometimes the notes satisfy them and I never hear from them again. Sometimes, it's just the beginning and they grow crazy insistent and I have to write the scenes out. Lately, though, with the ones I have to write out I get three or four (or five or six) chapters written and then everything dies a flaming death. I don't know what's up with that.

      Delete
  2. It's all practice, though. You are honing your scene writing skills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh! That's good! I like the way you think!

      Delete