Welcome

Welcome and thank you for visiting! Here you will find a bit about my life, including my obsession with the fiber arts and the written word.

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Scottish Knits

I've long been fascinated with Scotland.  The breathtaking landscapes, the people, the culture, the accent and yes, the yummy kilts, everything about it makes me sit up and take notice.  Maybe it's because I'm a boring American, but seriously, Scotland is the place of dreams for me.

Especially because of the knitwear!

The color work, the cables...delectable and breathtaking.  Argyle, Tweed, Tartan...the choices are endless and so are the possibilities.  Highland and Shetland wool....sumptuous.  Sometimes, I start looking at stuff and the next thing I know, hours have passed and I'm still drooling.

It's the birth place of the amazing technique of Fair Isle color work and traditional Scottish knitting even has it's own special way of holding the needles that's fascinating and looks very speedy.  It's something I want to try.

There's a new book of patterns out that I want and I'm going to put in on my wishlist.  Because some of the color work is just...literally breathtaking.  Like, I was looking at some of the pictures and actually gasped in awe.  

I'm not the type of person that has any particular yearning to travel.  And going abroad actually terrifies me.  But to visit Scotland?  To see the gorgeous landscape myself?  Maybe.  Someday.  If only to get me some traditional Scottish wool yarn!
 

4 comments:

  1. Goodness! Did you know that I'm sitting in the Highlands of Scotland reading this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No! I mean, I think I knew Scotland because of some things you've said elsewhere...this is me, totally jealous. You're so close to the yarn! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! So close to the yarn and yet so far away, because I'm not a crafter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. *snort* Poor Alder! I'm gonna go ahead and envy you and your proximity to the yarn anyway, if that's all right with you!

    ReplyDelete